Discuss Device attached to Grid Pylon in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, a couple of questions; 1. What is the cylindrical device attached to one of the pylon conductors, it appears to have a cable coming out of each side which is twisted around the HV conductor? 2. What is the silver rod running up the side of the pylon structure? Pictures attached.

Regards, Charles

Attachments

• IMG_5309 small.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5313 small.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5314 small.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5315 small.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 73
Looks like one of these:

It does indeed.

Sorry guys and thanks, my old age and the lockdown has made me more dosey than usual. It’s obvious it’s fibre optic.... durr! Not sure about the rod though, it is located where the climbing steps are, but it looks a bit flimsy and is only attached every few metres, I think if I jumped off I’d rather be attached to the pylon.

The Rod will be for the Safety line.
They'll have another clip / line they move up to a step above as they climb.
The saftey line will probably have a running clip that goes over the fixings without removing it, so they are always clipped on at least one line.
Unlike the men that erected them in the 50's and 60's.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUowNWSk4uU

The dish is a Skywrap, the DNO have been installing these over the last couple of years as part of a network monitoring system upgrade, my last employer was involved with part of this at ground level.

The vertical cable is part of a Latchway/Cabloc fall arrest system used by climbers. Very common on towers and masts.

15585-8017669.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/BMxb7Rghcmg

The Rod will be for the Safety line.
They'll have another clip / line they move up to a step above as they climb.
The saftey line will probably have a running clip that goes over the fixings without removing it, so they are always clipped on at least one line.
Unlike the men that erected them in the 50's and 60's.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUowNWSk4uU
My father-in-law worked on the pylons around this time, he was on the insulators gang. He loved the work but when a pylon collapsed into the Great River Ouse killing eleven men he decided on a career change.

Reply to Device attached to Grid Pylon in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net