Discuss Difference between a Building and Household Electrician? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jsquires

Hi,
I passed my 236 P1&2 many years ago and I only ever worked on buildings, so no twin & earth for me.
Can anyone tell me if I would need to take any extra exams to do household work?
Many Thanks
Jason

So long as you are qualified up to the latest regulations and competent then you should not need any more exams to work in domestic rather than commercial/industrial.
However it might be well worth refreshing you awareness of how domestic installation go, I don't think a householder would like a cable tray across the living room!
If you are going to do notifiable work under the building regulations then the cheapest method is to register with a self certification scheme, although it may be worth checking of your local building control will accept installation certificates at a reduced / no cost without a scheme membership.

So long as you are qualified up to the latest regulations and competent then you should not need any more exams to work in domestic rather than commercial/industrial.
However it might be well worth refreshing you awareness of how domestic installation go, I don't think a householder would like a cable tray across the living room!
If you are going to do notifiable work under the building regulations then the cheapest method is to register with a self certification scheme, although it may be worth checking of your local building control will accept installation certificates at a reduced / no cost without a scheme membership.

Hi Richard,
Many thanks for your fast reply, I am qualified up to the latest regulations and no I would not be installing tray in someone's front room but that did make me laugh. It was just a question I had rolling around in my head.
Thanks Again,
Jason

I would have a look at part p etc and it might be a good idea to do one of these 17th refresh courses as a crash course.

there are more applicable regs etc to houses now than there used to be.

don't listen to rich, im sure they would prefer 4x2" segregated over walls surface instead of plastic trunking, proper workmanship XD

Reply to Difference between a Building and Household Electrician? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net