Discuss Different phases for a 13A socket outlet and 5A socket outlet 2" apart in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jjnr78

Hi all.

We're currently wiring a large domestic dwelling that has a 3 phase supply. We would like to balance phases as accurately as possible, but due to the lighting control system we have a situation where we have a 13A socket on one phase sited next to a 5A socket on another phase. These are located in the clients grand entrance hall, so I'm not sure how amused she would be if we were to start putting labels etc on her chromeware. Its a long shot, but do the regs consider all socket outlet regardless of their pin structure and so labelling is required? Or because you are very unlikely to be able to create 400V between these outlets, the labelling and warnings etc are not necessary?

Alternatively, its not the end of the world to arrange them onto the same phase, but the project will become slightly less well-balanced.

Cheers

put them on the same phase, for the sake of 5A imbalance.

even so, 2 phases close together, DIY dave comes in and wack. 415v across his grubby paws. always allow for the unexpected, then allow for idiots.

Nothing wrong with them being on different phases and no warning label required, as Uo does not exceed 230V.

Forgot we had to work to keep those who don't know what they're doing safe.

Used to do this, but spent far to long worrying about what happens if DIY Dave decides to have a go years down the line.

not just that. regs. have now put the great god RCD on virtually everything, so common sense goes out the window. my take is that if i were to grab hold of 2 phases, i'd not want to rely on some poxy far east made device to keep me from croaking.

not just that. regs. have now put the great god RCD on virtually everything, so common sense goes out the window. my take is that if i were to grab hold of 2 phases, i'd not want to rely on some poxy far east made device to keep me from croaking.

That wud be a short not an earth fault tho...................I'll get me coat:(

Reply to Different phases for a 13A socket outlet and 5A socket outlet 2" apart in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net