Discuss Different result every time in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

Has anyone considered that every time you do a continutity/earth loop test, on the same circuit you get a different result every time?

I had an end to end test on a ring circuit today and kept pressing the test button. The results jump all over the place.

How credible is any test if the result is never the same, anyone could make up the results and we wouldnt be able to prove it, and this worries me!

Could be a number of issues, however for a basic continuity i'd say generally an issue with the test kit or operator.

Battery level, instrument accuracy (in cal), lead condition, croc clip connection, pressure of leads on cable ect.. Few of the things i'd initially check

On my tester you need to keep your finger on the test button until it has stabilised. That way I do get the same result each time.

Indeed, good points by Stspark. Always worth remembering that test instruments have an inherent inaccuracy built in - for example it may be +/-10% on some ranges. We shouldn't consider them to be inherently accurate equipment, but more indicative.

Are you waiting between tests , some whack enough current about to warm things
a little , for a different reading next time !
(What gear are you using - does it need its leads zeroing .. (can hide problems!))

Poor connections to meter/leads, do you make sure you null your equipment with the crock clips touching on both their fixed sides?
Is your equipment susceptible to interference? Have you tried isolating other circuits to prove this.

New test kit, calibrated with fresh batteries, constant pressure applied as croc clips secured. Results kept vayring from anywhere between 1.01-1.51 ohms

Send it back for a warranty check ................ if its new kit the results you are getting are unacceptable.

When my Metrel starts doing this, I know its time to replace the leads - which is about every 15 months)

Reply to Different result every time in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock