Discuss Difficulty in getting my head around the logistics of a rewire and retaining power? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I am quoting for my first full rewire and I am am having difficulty trying to get my head around the logistics of retaining power/lights for the client whilst the re-wire is taking place?

It will take me around 2 weeks (working by myself) and the main point is that the CU is going to be moved to another room. This will be a lived-in rewire so I have to retain a portion of the power/lighting for the client throughout the re-wire. Just wondering how you usually do this with a re-wire?

How do you keep power/lights for the client if you are running new cables down to a socket/lights as you will be removing the old cables, and the new cables will be running to a different starting location (without power) due to the CU being moved.

This must be a common occurrence so was hoping for some ideas on how you guys do it?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Re: Difficulty in getting my head around the logistics of a rewire and retaining powe

I never do live in rewires so its never a problem. :hammer::hammer:

Re: Difficulty in getting my head around the logistics of a rewire and retaining powe

I am quoting for my first full rewire and I am am having difficulty trying to get my head around the logistics of retaining power/lights for the client whilst the re-wire is taking place?

It will take me around 2 weeks (working by myself) and the main point is that the CU is going to be moved to another room. This will be a lived-in rewire so I have to retain a portion of the power/lighting for the client throughout the re-wire. Just wondering how you usually do this with a re-wire?

How do you keep power/lights for the client if you are running new cables down to a socket/lights as you will be removing the old cables, and the new cables will be running to a different starting location (without power) due to the CU being moved.

This must be a common occurrence so was hoping for some ideas on how you guys do it?

Cheers.

first off you need to persuade them to go on holiday while you do the rewire. If this fails then......
The answer is that there is no simple answer and will be different depending on each property. You need to:
  • Agree with the customer the level to which power and lights will be expected to be on at the end of any given day/time period, including possible temp supplies.
  • Agree on furniture shifting, who will be doing this as this can easily take 1-2 hours of a day. If it's you then your quote and schedule needs to reflect this.
  • Agree on which rooms will be available on which days and stick to the schedule. Both you and the customer.
  • Work room by room and not bite off more than you can chew in a day.
  • Stay as long as it takes to achieve what has been agreed in a given day.
  • Get a second hand in to help. So much easier and may prevent you from having to lift as many boards for access.

a few ways to do it.

1. rip out old CU and fit a temp. RCD/MCB 1 way CU with couple of twin sockets. extension leads and some plug-in lights to manage.

2. do the new install with all new gear, not in the exact location of the existing, while keeping the existing installation running. then disconnect old installation when you do CU change on last day.

3. rewire and 2nd fix each circuit 1 at a time. connect into old CU till you done them all.

I think it's a case of the customer having to compromise a bit too, for example they might have to do without the cooker for one night, maybe some lights another night, but if you rig up a couple of double sockets as temporary supplies it's easy to run extension leads for important stuff like fridge/freezers, the phone and most crucially the kettle.:p Also you'll probably have to connect,test and energise one circuit at a time into the new CU rather than all at once.
Try to plan it so you can complete 'stages' each day and not be going back round rooms several times too, you'll manage fine.

a few ways to do it.

1. rip out old CU and fit a temp. RCD/MCB 1 way CU with couple of twin sockets. extension leads and some plug-in lights to manage.

2. do the new install with all new gear, not in the exact location of the existing, while keeping the existing installation running. then disconnect old installation when you do CU change on last day.

3. rewire and 2nd fix each circuit 1 at a time. connect into old CU till you done them all.

The voice of experience. :smile5:

Hi Steve, you could depending on the type of situation, you say the CU is being re sited, if no sub main is included, just split the tails at there origin, block them with henley's and have both CU's live, so when you start on an circuit, kill old. Rewire and connect into new once happy with dead tests . etc.

Andy 78 has it right for me get them to go away, even knock some off the bill to get rid of them just imagine the time it is going to take to make the site safe every night, floorboards down etc.

The way I was taught as an apprentice was to start at the top and work down reconnecting to existing feeds until you get to the CU. This generally resulted in large coils of T&E being left under the floor connected to the existing feeds waiting to be run into the next room the next day or to the CU.
This way we never left any lights or power off overnight.

If the CU is moving then for ring circuits you could just leave a loop of cable where the new cu is going, leave one of the new sockets off with JBs on the tails to connect to the existing legs.
Lighting circuits run the feed from the new CU position with its end capped off and just join the old feed into the circuit at any convenient point and disconnect once the changeover is done.

The other option is to have the new CU fitted and live then just run the new circuits out from there. Leave the old circuits live feeding the rooms you haven't got to yet. You might want to put the rings on 20A MCBs until you have completed the whole new circuit so that you can leave it as two branches of a radial and not have to temporarily complete the ring each night.

Andy 78 has it right for me get them to go away, even knock some off the bill to get rid of them just imagine the time it is going to take to make the site safe every night, floorboards down etc.

It's not much of a hardship to put floorboards etc back each night.
If you plan the work properly and don't mind finishing a couple of hours late occasionally then you only have to lift floors in each room once or twice.

IMO, occupied rewires is an skill that this trade is loosing very fast, it is probably the most I used to do when contracting, nobody seems to want to do it, or have an clue where to start.!

Without seeing it???? I guess you will have to use your imagination and some extension leads.

Sorry, started tying then phone went off! Agree with above posts. Good luck, got start somewhere!

Last edited:

IMO, occupied rewires is an skill that this trade is loosing very fast, it is probably the most I used to do when contracting, nobody seems to want to do it, or have an clue where to start.!

We did a few when I was an apprentice.

To be honest I was shocked when I left the company and first encountered the idea that some people turn the house off and expect people to live with a few temporary sockets while it's happening!

We did a few when I was an apprentice.

To be honest I was shocked when I left the company and first encountered the idea that some people turn the house off and expect people to live with a few temporary sockets while it's happening!

Surely that's no biggie, if some spoilt kid can't use his Xbox or whatever for a few days perhaps he'll do something useful instead ? [Unlikely though] And I'm sure most people would rather have a little inconvenience than pay £100s more just to have everything working every evening.

Surely that's no biggie, if some spoilt kid can't use his Xbox or whatever for a few days perhaps he'll do something useful instead ? [Unlikely though] And I'm sure most people would rather have a little inconvenience than pay £100s more just to have everything working every evening.

It's the sheer lack of basic respect for the customer and their property that I don't like.

No that's not what I mean Dave, all my customers are treated with the utmost respect and courtesy but I'd also explain that if they were happy to tolerate a few small inconveniences during a rewire then the job would take at least a day less to complete and they would save some money, just giving them the options.

At least, a basic plan of attack,should be considered at pre-quote time,at which point,discussion of expectations can occur.

I may have skimmed the original post,but en extra pair of hands is too beneficial to ignore.

Always remember,two heads are better than one...even if they're sheeps' heads :smartass:

Thanks all for those replies. There are some really good ideas and I'll think about which may be best for this situation.

Hopefully I will be able to persuade them to move out for the 2 weeks, I'll offer a reduction in the quote as an incentive as I would MUCH prefer it to be unoccupied!

At least, a basic plan of attack,should be considered at pre-quote time,at which point,discussion of expectations can occur.

I may have skimmed the original post,but en extra pair of hands is too beneficial to ignore.

Always remember,two heads are better than one...even if they're sheeps' heads :smartass:

This is not something I have considered but you're right. What is the going rate to pay someone to give you a hand? I dont mean another electrician or even an electricians mate, just a helper with taking up the floorboards, taking out all the old cable, channelling etc etc? My local builder pays his helper £60 p/day and I've always thought that was pretty low, although perhaps its the going rate?

Reply to Difficulty in getting my head around the logistics of a rewire and retaining power? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net