Discuss Dilema of thatched roof periodic coding. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkygg

Hi

I am doing a periodic inspection on a thatched cottage. The cables for upstairs lights are run through the loft clipped direct to the joists. This is the first thatched cottage I have worked on and am not sure of the ideal wiring requirements for protection against fire and rodents. I am aware of the "Dorset Model" which suggests wiring in metal conduit, which is fine for a new install. So do I code std pvc t&e with no metal or additional protection as a code 2 or 4?

Nothing in the regs states any specific requirement for thatched roof spaces as it doesn't come under a special location.

There is no sign of rodent damage after 15 years and the cicuit is RCD protected to 30mA.

This is for insurance purposes I need to get it right.

My Elecsa tech support told me it is up to me as it is my report - then suggested I code it 2 or 4 - obviously! but which?

Can anyone more experienced in thatched roof issues give me guidance to coding please.

Many many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no experience of thatched roofs, but i would apply common sense. If its been Ok for however many years and no problems have arisen, and all is still well, under test and visually, then in my opinion it is just another roof, so no codes required. I can see your concerns with straw etc, but where do we draw the line.

Cheers..........Howard

i would agree with howard there. can't see any mention in the regs. excepting environment and detrimental influences. as it ain't caught fire yet, it ain't likely to as long as the cable is sound and not overloaded.

I knew a chap who had a thatched roof and it was his insurance company that insisted on MICC cables to be installed in the roof. This was a good few years ago now and I think the insurance companies are now happy with FP200 though don't quote me on it!

I knew a chap who had a thatched roof and it was his insurance company that insisted on MICC cables to be installed in the roof. This was a good few years ago now and I think the insurance companies are now happy with FP200 though don't quote me on it!
The insurance company maybe happy with MICC or FP200, but both are vulnerable to rodent damage, rodents can easily chew through both types I can assure you. Heavy gauge thermosetting plastic trunking/conduit and even SWA is vulnerable to persistent rat attack. Steel conduit is the only fool proof solution I know of.
In the OP scenario, take a common sense approach then no coding necessary for this. In an annex to your report I would recommend the placement of rodent-bait traps in the loft space to give any rodent a preferential "food-source" and will eliminate any problem visitors before any likely attack.
During your initial inspection it is vital to check the high risk areas e.g. every JB and accessory, if any, in the loft space (terminal tightness and conductor/cable insulation), also ensure every penetration into the loft space is adequately fire-stopped with intumescent sealant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I am doing a periodic inspection on a thatched cottage. The cables for upstairs lights are run through the loft clipped direct to the joists. This is the first thatched cottage I have worked on and am not sure of the ideal wiring requirements for protection against fire and rodents. I am aware of the "Dorset Model" which suggests wiring in metal conduit, which is fine for a new install. So do I code std pvc t&e with no metal or additional protection as a code 2 or 4?

Nothing in the regs states any specific requirement for thatched roof spaces as it doesn't come under a special location.

There is no sign of rodent damage after 15 years and the cicuit is RCD protected to 30mA.

This is for insurance purposes I need to get it right.

My Elecsa tech support told me it is up to me as it is my report - then suggested I code it 2 or 4 - obviously! but which?

Can anyone more experienced in thatched roof issues give me guidance to coding please.

Many many thanks.
Seems to be the blanket answer with any PIR questions, I got the exact same answer the other day.
You could put 2 and explain why.

As this does not really contravene BS7671 (possibly excepting external influence) then it should have no code but should be an observation that the cables are not protected against rodent tooth wearing. If there are no signs of infestation and rodent control is in place and the cables and connections (if any) are sound then, as said above, should be safe.
Insurance companies may make additional demands but this is not BS7671 which is what you are assessing.

The insurance company maybe happy with MICC or FP200, but both are vulnerable to rodent damage, rodents can easily chew through both types I can assure you. Heavy gauge thermosetting plastic trunking/conduit and even SWA is vulnerable to persistent rat attack. Steel conduit is the only fool proof solution I know of.
In the OP scenario, take a common sense approach then no coding necessary for this. In an annex to your report I would recommend the placement of rodent-bait traps in the loft space to give any rodent a preferential "food-source" and will eliminate any problem visitors before any likely attack.
During your initial inspection it is vital to check the high risk areas e.g. every JB and accessory, if any, in the loft space (terminal tightness and conductor/cable insulation), also ensure every penetration into the loft space is adequately fire-stopped with intumescent sealant.

Quite agree, rats will eat through anything. If there is no sign of damage to the cables, then there is no code applicable. My point was that it might be the insurance company who specifies what type of cable/protection is used, and this has nothing to do with the regs.

Your quite right the only way of making it bullit proof is to use steel conduit and should be the prefered method if possible :yesnod:

Reply to Dilema of thatched roof periodic coding. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net