Discuss dimmable GU10 LEDs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

AJ16

-
DIY
Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendations? I've tried the Screwfix LAP 5w ones, they are ok but don't dim right down. Is this the same with others such as Sylvania? cheers

Depends on the dimmer but also the LAP lamps are some of the cheaper ones available - try the Robus ones at Screwfix, I use these all the time with no problems on dimmers.

I've been fitting Philips Master ones. They give a really warm white, look good on the ceiling (a single small, bright spot) and so far seem to work with the existing (Hamilton litestat) dimmers.
I've put a couple on a Dynalite dimmer (albeit mixed in with tungsten filament bulbs) and they also seem OK.
They seem to behave like a resistive load.

In my (limited) experience of dimming GU10 LED's...if just dimming a few you won't get them to fully dim, need a fair amount of them on the dimmer.

For example, 6*3W GU10's on a min load 10W dimmer, its not even going to get to halfway.

I have just fitted 30 of the 9W Robus Down lights, I have a set of 12, set of 8, 6 and 4.

i have to say with a varight trailing edge dimmer, they are very impressive, they dim right down to nothing and in perfect control!

I have just fitted 30 of the 9W Robus Down lights, I have a set of 12, set of 8, 6 and 4.

i have to say with a varight trailing edge dimmer, they are very impressive, they dim right down to nothing and in perfect control!
my only gripe with led is this.

everyone thinks a 4watt is a 4watt its not.

you need to check lumen output.

ive got 4.5watt coolwhite gu10's in a kitchen and there very bright (brighter than some higher watt led from another manufacturer)

my only gripe with led is this.

everyone thinks a 4watt is a 4watt its not.

you need to check lumen output.
ive got 4.5watt coolwhite gu10's in a kitchen and there very bright (brighter than some higher watt led from another manufacturer)

...At least i know whats' what now...:icon12:

have you matched the right sized trailing edge dimmer? it gets annoying trying to dim led's compared to halogen
Good tip, will try the Aurora ones, I only had one LED lamp in the circuit with 4 Dichroics as I wanted to test before purchase, seems like I need to have LED in all 5?

thanks all, the Robus & Megaman ones sound good, Robus at £11.99, I wonder why so much more than LAP (£4)?? Thing is that you can't see any of them lit normally in store so you can't compare like for like. It sounds like I need to buy a batch rather than one so I want to be sure what I'm getting at between £8-£12+ each.

thanks all, the Robus & Megaman ones sound good, Robus at £11.99, I wonder why so much more than LAP (£4)?? Thing is that you can't see any of them lit normally in store so you can't compare like for like. It sounds like I need to buy a batch rather than one so I want to be sure what I'm getting at between £8-£12+ each.
go for warm white. (a lot of led's use the same led chips the difference is the drivers and quality of components)

the only reason i went to lumilife is the 5 year warranty (long than most others)

When you compare the LAP and Robus, the light quality is vastly different. Not sure if everyone notices it but I certainly do. Do a bit of research, you can find the Robus ones for around £8 if you shop around (energy bulbs)...

When you compare the LAP and Robus, the light quality is vastly different. Not sure if everyone notices it but I certainly do. Do a bit of research, you can find the Robus ones for around £8 if you shop around (energy bulbs)...
that will be the colour of the light.

for example the ones im using in my bedroom are 2700k

Normally fit aurora 7 watt with aurora dimmer switches and they work fine. Fitted 4 in a bathroom a few weeks ago. Christ knows why they wanted to dimm bathroom lights????

Normally fit aurora 7 watt with aurora dimmer switches and they work fine. Fitted 4 in a bathroom a few weeks ago. Christ knows why they wanted to dimm bathroom lights????
Possibly to create an atmosphere when having a relaxing bubble bath, or so they don't get blinded when they get up in the night for a slash.

that will be the colour of the light.

for example the ones im using in my bedroom are 2700k

Nope, both are 2700k. The 3000k Robus are much cooler white than the 2700k. But the quality of the light, or the clarity of the Robus lamps is much better, whereas the LAP is bright but not that clear.

Reply to dimmable GU10 LEDs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net