Discuss Dimmer keeps blowing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

liamruairi

Any advice is much appreciated. I have a new light fitted, 10 x E27 40watt filament bulbs. Its this one: 10 Lights - Edison Chandelier Pendant Lamp Ceiling Light Bulbs Remote Control | eBay

I have now fitted 5 dimmer switches and not found one that works. Leading edge dimmers buzz really loud and trailing edge ones keep blowing. I bought a 400w varilight remote dimmer which worked lovely, then i turned it on once (full brighness) and it blew. I thought i needed an over-capacity dimmer so bought the same but 600w version (max light fixture watt is 400 - 10x 40w bulbs) and same thing happpened. Worked dimmed for few hours, turned off, then on again at full brightness and it blew. What am i doing wrong? Do i need an even bigger capacity like a 1000w dimmer?

thanks for advice!
liam

1. Try a 1Kw dimmer a 400w is not big enough

2. How deep is the back box - if its 16mm or 25mm trying adding a "forward" spacer.

3. Fit an on/off switch

or

4. Change the light fitting

I had similar problems on a chandelier once , in the end I used a 1000W in line dimmer above the ceiling that had plenty of ventilation and replaced the switch with retractive one , never had a problem after that ..

the cold resistance of the lamps is a lot lower than when hot. use a rotary dimmer (as opposed to push) so that it's not possible to turn on full whack. lamps will last a lot longer as well. should manage with a 600w or 700w then.

the cold resistance of the lamps is a lot lower than when hot. use a rotary dimmer (as opposed to push) so that it's not possible to turn on full whack. lamps will last a lot longer as well. should manage with a 600w or 700w then.

Great advice thanks. Ill try a 1000w rotary simmer. Wher s a good supplier of a trailing edge ? Im in sheffield if anyone knows anywher thats not online?

many thanks

most electrical wholesalers will stock them, how about screwfux?

I'm from Sheffield where abouts are you op and I will try and tell you the closest one.

I'm from Sheffield where abouts are you op and I will try and tell you the closest one.

Thanks, im in nether edge. Screwfix dont seem to stock them in their catalogue but the nearest one to me is queens road opposite b&q (who dont have 1000w either)

cheers

Thanks, im in nether edge. Screwfix dont seem to stock them in their catalogue but the nearest one to me is queens road opposite b&q (who dont have 1000w either)

cheers
yes you're quite far out at nether edge, the closest Yess electrical is penistone road hillsborough, edmundson electrical at catley road attercliffe or electric center near Sheffield arena, but I would say out of the 3 yess electrical have a better range of decorative switches and lights on display in store.

Unit 4
Hillsborough Trade Point
Rawson Spring Road
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
S6 1PD 3.4 Miles from nether edge
T. 0844 324 8025
F. 0844 324 8026
E. [email protected]

Mon - Fri 7.00am - 17.30pm

Saturday 8.00am - 12.00pm

Hang on a minute. The fitting the OP linked to says it includes a remote control, i.e. there is a receiver / control unit in the fitting that probably isn't designed to operate on a dimmer, unless the instructions say otherwise. I bet it contains a capacitive dropper to power its own electronics and that is what is causing the dimmers to buzz / fail rather than the lamps themselves. A larger dimmer might survive, but the control unit in the fitting might fail too.

E2A: if that is the problem, it could be bypassed, at the cost of invalidating the fitting's safety approval and warranty.

Hang on a minute. The fitting the OP linked to says it includes a remote control, i.e. there is a receiver / control unit in the fitting that probably isn't designed to operate on a dimmer, unless the instructions say otherwise. I bet it contains a capacitive dropper to power its own electronics and that is what is causing the dimmers to buzz / fail rather than the lamps themselves. A larger dimmer might survive, but the control unit in the fitting might fail too.

E2A: if that is the problem, it could be bypassed, at the cost of invalidating the fitting's safety approval and warranty.

Yes it does have a remote control but it just turns all lights on or off, or 5 of the lights on or off at a time. There isnt a dimmer button on the control. With all the dimmers ive tried except from the varilight the fitting (im guessing the reciever in the rose) buzzed so loudly. Any work around?

Yes it does have a remote control but it just turns all lights on or off, or 5 of the lights on or off at a time. There isnt a dimmer button on the control. With all the dimmers ive tried except from the varilight the fitting (im guessing the reciever in the rose) buzzed so loudly. Any work around?

Sounds like it is not designed to be used on a dimmer switch as it needs a permanent live so you can use the remote control.

Reply to Dimmer keeps blowing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock