Discuss Dimmer question.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

andyd55

Got a job where customer wants a dimmer switch fitted to 2 circuits both containing 5x wall lights with 2x40W halogen G9 bulbs in each. The easiest switch to replace is a single gang however it is the intermediate switch, can you get such a dimmer with the correct wattage?

Find total wattage first and you can get 450 or even a 1000 watt dimmer duno about intermediate tho why not the first or last switch I.e. the 2 way part also bear in mind the size of the gubbins in the back box

Sorry will try and make it clearer, ok situation...

Two lighting circuits in her hallway, both with 5 wall lights on each (Big --- hallway!!) 10 in total.

Each wall light has 2x40W G9 halogen bulbs thus 80W per light and therefore 400W for each of the two lighting circuits.

Each circuit is controlled from three different positions, therefore 4way switching is in effect, on the middle switch of each of the circuits (the intermediate) it is a single gang single 4way switch and would be easiest out of all the switches to replace with a dimmer as the other two switches our double gang with various other switches on them for other lighting circuits.

My question is can you purchase a dimmer that allows for 4way switching all dimmers I have seen allow for 3way not 4way switching?

Also can you get a dimmer rated high enough for these lights?

Hope I have explained myself a bit better?

YES
have to do it on a grid basis

Not necessarily! It all depends on how it's been wired and what combinations of cables you can get at, but there's also the option of putting the dimmer/s BEFORE the switching circuit - as in on the live supply.

I had thought of that as well, if I put a normal dimmer with no switch, on the live coming in I would be able to set it at a dimmed level and leave 3 switches as they are!

AFAIK you can't get an intermediate dimmer switch, so you would need to replace one of the 2 way switches with the dimmer.

Reply to Dimmer question.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock