Discuss Dimmer switch in one room making lites in another glow when off or pulsate on and off? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I wired a house about a year ago, We recently got a call back because the led can trims are glowing when the switch is off. We have figured out that the can trims that glow when their switch is off only glow when the dimmer in and for a different rom is turned on. The led can trims are listed as dimmable and the dimmer is listed as being compatible with led lights. We have used the same can trims with the same dimmers together on multiple different jobs and this is the first problem we’ve had with them. Do any of you know what is going on here?

I wired a house about a year ago, We recently got a call back because the led can trims are glowing when the switch is off. We have figured out that the can trims that glow when their switch is off only glow when the dimmer in and for a different rom is turned on. The led can trims are listed as dimmable and the dimmer is listed as being compatible with led lights. We have used the same can trims with the same dimmers together on multiple different jobs and this is the first problem we’ve had with them. Do any of you know what is going on here?
Justin welcome to the forum and are all the lights that your talking about on the same circuit plus other loads ?

There are two lighting circuits in this house and it is happening on both circuits but not at every dimmer on those circuits. Their are only lighting loads on both of the circuits except for one unused switched outlet on one of them. I’ve opened and redone every box in each circuit and there were not lose neutrals or neutrals of different circuits tied together.

LED lights can glow noticeably in the dark with surprisingly small currents, so it could be capacitive coupling but unless you have quite a lot of common runs for the two circuits it seems unlikely.

Here in the UK the cable typically would have an earth all the way to the light fitting (even if not needed there), is that also the case in the USA? If so a floating earth might be one coupling route.

LED lights can glow noticeably in the dark with surprisingly small currents, so it could be capacitive coupling but unless you have quite a lot of common runs for the two circuits it seems unlikely.

Here in the UK the cable typically would have an earth all the way to the light fitting (even if not needed there), is that also the case in the USA? If so a floating earth might be one coupling route.
PC1966 yes we have a earth and it terminates to the light fixture. We have a lot of problems with dimmers over here. I don’t understand why buy LED lights for the brightness then install dimmers. I haven’t found a dimmer yet that works consistently on LEDS. Do y’all have the same problem?

The majority of LED lamps for sale here in the UK are not suitable for dimming, but you can get them rated for dimming. Some companies make dimmers intended for LED use but it all seems a bit of a complication (some can be configured for leading or trailing edge switching, etc, to suit LED type). These are ones I have used and they are generally OK:

But due to the low currents involved I find there is an annoying lag between setting the dimmer and the light responding. Probably less of an issue with any significant LED load, but its irritating on just a couple of small bulbs.

There are two lighting circuits in this house and it is happening on both circuits but not at every dimmer on those circuits. Their are only lighting loads on both of the circuits except for one unused switched outlet on one of them. I’ve opened and redone every box in each circuit and there were not lose neutrals or neutrals of different circuits tied together.

Did you check the earth continuity as well?

Might be worth a try. Here in the UK it is normal practice on a new/repaired circuit to measure the supply + earth impedance at the end (furthest) point to make sure it would clear a fault fast enough. But it is still not uncommon for sections of lighting earth to be floating after some joint goes open, or bad work done, as under most conditions it is not noticed and DIYers tend not to test.

a lot of these problems are caused by 2 way switching ( believe called 3 way in USA). this is because the strappers (travelers) have a voltage on 1 or more conductors inducing a small voltage in another. this causes LEDs to glow when they should be off. a snubber often cures the problem.

Reply to Dimmer switch in one room making lites in another glow when off or pulsate on and off? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock