Discuss Dimmer switch light fixture problem in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

CorpusCallosum

Hi all,

I've just moved into a rental house and am having a nightmare figuring out what type of light bulb to use in the ceiling fixture in one of the upstairs rooms.

The bulb that's in the fixture now works, although does not dim (if I turn the dial at the wall). It also happens to be a very dim bulb, and I want a brighter one so I took it out. I tried replacing it with an 'old-style' 40W bulb (said 'dimmable' on the box), and 105W halogen bulb (also 'dimmable'). Neither of these worked at all, but they do when I screw them into other fixtures in the house. I tried another bulb that was lying around, that one flashed at about 1Hz and didn't seem to change frequency when I turned the dimmer dial. It also worked normally in another fixture.

How on earth do I figure out what kind of bulb is the right bulb? I don't have the box of the bulb that was in the fixture originally so I can't even get the same one again (which I wouldn't want to anyway as it's not bright enough). Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

A 40W old style filament lamp should work on pretty much most dimmers.
It sounds somewhat like the dimmer module has failed, and needs replacing.

Any dimmer should be able to dim successfully an incandescent bulb i.e. a old style filament or an "eco" halogen bulb. However if the dimmer has a minimum load that is greater than the bulb wattage (often the minimum load is 60W) then it may not work.

It is possible that the lamp holder is slightly damaged and so a new bulb may not make contact with the lampholder terminals.

SJD has the most likely scenario, that the dimmer switch is faulty.
Trying the various bulbs with just a plate switch would check if the lampholder is faulty.
Trying a new dimmer switch would check if the dimmer is faulty.

Reply to Dimmer switch light fixture problem in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock