Discuss Dimmers and LEDS...!!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
yesterday was working in a house where a different sparky had installed LED spotlights on dimmer switches. the leds flicker when you dim them. also the mcb the lights are on buzzes when the LEDs are on - to do with harmonics I think. But the funny thing is I know another house that was done by the same sparky with the exact same problems. Why would he keep doing that - surely he would have learnt?? and is it only certain combinations of dimmers and LEDs that flicker because I constantly install LEDs on dimmers but they never flicker?

maybe... but what do you suggest he does to change it?? different dimmer switches?? i think he uses bg nexus ones - has anyone had any problems with them? is it to do with the wattage rating of the dimmer?

Compatibility issues..
Standard 240v LED fittings are best dimmed using trailing edge dimmers..
Don’t want to get too technical..
Zano and varilight are the most readily compatible
You should do some research, the manufacturers have compatibility charts.. Have a look at them, sorry tell your friend to have a look ;)

+1 for Zano never had a issue with them fitted to various led loads.

I once fitted a BELL dimmer module did loads of research, on paper it was 100% compatible. 10 seconds it was in and it started to smoke and melted.

Compatibility issues..
Standard 240v LED fittings are best dimmed using trailing edge dimmers..
Don’t want to get too technical..
Zano and varilight are the most readily compatible
You should do some research, the manufacturers have compatibility charts.. Have a look at them, sorry tell your friend to have a look ;)
yes i understand your point. i have noticed zano before. its all to do with the copper coil inside a traditional dimmer I think. will let him know :)

yes i understand your point. i have noticed zano before. its all to do with the copper coil inside a traditional dimmer I think. will let him know :)

The coil in traditional dimmers is there to absorb spikes caused by the triac switching on and off at the peak.
A triac is basically just an electronic on off switch..
Remember as a child when you would hold a switch till the light flickered din,
that’s basically what the old dimmer switches do

The coil in traditional dimmers is there to absorb spikes caused by the triac switching on and off at the peak.
A triac is basically just an electronic on off switch..
Remember as a child when you would hold a switch till the light flickered din,
that’s basically what the old dimmer switches do

Lovely analogy for phase angle control.
Mind you, I know what you originally put that post . Only kidding.

yesterday was working in a house where a different sparky had installed LED spotlights on dimmer switches. the leds flicker when you dim them. also the mcb the lights are on buzzes when the LEDs are on - to do with harmonics I think. But the funny thing is I know another house that was done by the same sparky with the exact same problems. Why would he keep doing that - surely he would have learnt?? and is it only certain combinations of dimmers and LEDs that flicker because I constantly install LEDs on dimmers but they never flicker?
What dimmers do you use

Lovely analogy for phase angle control.
Mind you, I know what you originally put that post . Only kidding.

Thank you, I like to put things in layman terms and use analogies where possible, whenever I get too technical I’m usually confronted with a blank face

Used to have a lecturer (at Donny college near the Waterdale - you probably know it) who came up with some cracking analogies, but they normally didn't make sense unfortunately. He once likened thyristor operation to the height adjustment on a lawnmower when we were doing power electronics :)

One of our lecturers used to always use mnemonic rhymes..
Used to be sat there doing revision or sitting an exam singing bloody rhymes like a racist to remember resistor codes :D

I remember being taught something similar, not racist, but certainly not nice haha

Incompatible dimmers to lamps to dimmers whichever way you look at it.
Bane of an electricians life dimming LED but usually there is a combination out there that will work!

Currently using BG Nexus dimmer with JCC V50 led downlights ... no issues. If I’d installed something that didn’t work for whatever reason I’d want to know and would also fix. If I was the customer I’d want the spark back to sort!

Reply to Dimmers and LEDS...!!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock