Discuss Dimmers keep blowing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

joebb

Can anyone advise me? I have changed 5 dimmer switches in a pub and after around 2 months they stop working this has happened twice now. I have put 1000 watts dimmers as the load is 700 watts, so I not overloading it, could it be that the lights are on for around 12 hours everyday?:confused:

did the same myself few mnths ago with no problems.
sure all lamps are dimmerble and there is no spurs?
also are they all around 700w circuits? any much lower?

Cheers 4 reply, no there are no spurs on the circuit, and the lowest load is 400 watts

Fit a commercial dimmer i assume thats 700w on one circuit.
Mode electronics do 1500w dimmer packs , use mode quite a bit not bad kit for stand alone dimming

Check all the lamps as said above, I do a pub and I put in a 1kw dimmer, I told the landlord specifically not to put non dimmerable CF lamps in, went back the other day all but 3 were non dimmerable CF lamps prat!. Next time they go I'm putting in wise control florescent dimmers then he'll probably go back to incandescent lamps, can't win :D

Richmond lighting do very good quality commercial dimmers too

Last edited by a moderator:
Are any of the lamps using energy savers as these are not compatible with dimmers and will blow the internal components in the switch in a very short time?

Check the info with you dimmer, some styles of lamp like gu10's require a 50% reduction to the rating of the dimmer so your 1000watt dimmer may only be good for 500w of gu10 lamps, if this is the case get a dimmer that can be used with the lamps involved without a reduction to the dimmer rating.

darkwood is right. when you choose a dimmer it has to be the right one, some dimmers can only dim halogens at 50%, and also, if dimming 12v halogens you may need a different dimmer altogether and then the amount of trannies comes into play. basically be very cautious with dimmers. i normally buy mine from TLC and they are helpful

Reply to Dimmers keep blowing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock