Discuss dimming large amount of downlights? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
HI,
I've been asked about installing a potentially large amount of downlights in a basement kitchen/dining area. There is going to be a lack of natural light and the client wants downlights to be installed and she would like them to be dimmed too.
After doing lots of measurements of the area i've worked out she'll probably want 9 downlights over the dining area and 18 lights over the kitchen area switched from a 2 gang switch. (this is a huge basement before you ask) i might be able to slightly reduce the number but because of its lack of natural light i'm wary of this.

9x50w is 450w
18x50w is 900w

Would a 2 gang 1000w dimmer be able to dim this load properly or am i missing something.Im Not an expert on dimmers!

Or would fitting mains dimmable LED lamps be a suitable option? (would prefer this)

If anyone one has any other ideas that would be great,
Many thanks

as above. use LEDs.with 18 halogens that 1000watt dimmer would fry.

Be wary of start up currents on LED's and check the dimmers manufacturers instructions for how many LED's they can dim! I'd be looking to set up 3 or 4 different areas.

Most dimmers specify how many/wattage for LED's, and it will be way down on the headline rating figure for resistive loads.

I have successfully dimmed 10x8W Philips + 1x 4.5W Philips, all in the same circuit using Varilight V-pro. The 11 lamps was just fractionally over the recommendation, but you won't get 18 in one circuit.

Check the dimmer data and the LED manufacturer first and tread carefully. Get it wrong and you'll have embarrassing problem.

If you're going with Megaman, they have a list of dimmers they have tested.

I use the varilight V-pro which can dim 15x 6w GU10 lamps down to 10% of their max brightness.

you need to be careful with what LED lamps you are using as not all will be dimmable and most end up flickering alot. make sure dimmers are suitable aswell, leading edge? last job i did was using JCC DIMMABLE LED7 downlights with 2g richmond zano grid z500 dimmers. works perfect.

thanks for the responses.
I'll probably look to change to 3 gang at least then. Had a feeling dimming LED's wasn't going to be a straight forward affair.
Bit of dimmer research required for me then!
Cheers

Reply to dimming large amount of downlights? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net