Discuss Dimming LED's But with a little twist in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

adamroche144

Will It Work ??????

Right, i have a customer who has a light fitting that has x3 watt halogen bulb light fitting run from a normal dimmer atm.
They are having wardrobes fitted that will have x3 GU10 Dimmable LED down lights on the outside :eek:mg_smile: (Must be LED as they like the day white colour)
They have requested to have them linked into the lighting circuit for that room so when when the dim the main light the wardrobe lights
will dim at the same time.

I plan to fit a LED dimmer which should be fine for the LED's but how will the Halogens React to being dimmed by a LED dimmer ?????

Will this work?

replace the halogen lamps with the same LEDs as you are going to fit.

Sorry forgot to mention the halogens are E14 SES candle type so led of these prob be a bad idea

They not bad, but nothing over 300 Lumens tho, current E14 give out about 600 so double the brightens,
To be honest they could do with changing the fitting as its such a large room and not enough bulbs but they love there lights fitting and dont want to change them bla bla bla lol

I think it would work so long as the total wattage does not exceed half the maximum rating of the dimmer.
They will probably not dim the same amount e.g. halogens may go from 100% to 10% but LED may go from 90% to 30%, but LED dimming is a minefield anyway.
Another one that they will probably not want would be to put a double gang dimmer with LED module on side and normal the other, but you have said they want to dim together.

Mock one up beforehand and see if it works.

The LED dimmer will dim any resistive load as well. The halogens will be absolutely fine and will dim from 100% however you may find they might not last quite as long as normal due to the voltage spikes caused by the nature of trailing edge dimming. I doubt this will be a problem though.

Try the Aurora LED specific dimmer this works very well on the type of thing you need to do, and as above just need to make sure the capacity is not exceeded but these have a 400w rating

stay clear of the Click dimmers for LED's nothing but problems, the best in my opinion is the green Aurora dimmer modules are the best you even adjust them once you've installed via a screwdriver on the module, very good

Reply to Dimming LED's But with a little twist in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock