Discuss Dimplex quantum heaters on dual tariff in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

FCC5206

Evening all

i was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the dimpled quantum range. It has a dual supply one from the off and one on peak.
The installation instructions are rubbish and give little guidelines to the specific cable and mcb sizes only the unit cables are peak 1.5 and off peak 2.5.
This biggest issue is I have two which are to be fed in a workshop supplied from the main house. the whole house is on dual tariff. I need to know as there are two feeds if I can run them in on the same supply cable as they shouldn't be drawing at the same time made off to 2 sfs.
i have attempted to contact dimplex direct but have been fobbed off before the "I will just take some advice off our engineer" only to be cut off (not happy!!!).
its happened twice now so I'm throwing in the towel.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Evening all

i was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the dimpled quantum range. It has a dual supply one from the off and one on peak.
The installation instructions are rubbish and give little guidelines to the specific cable and mcb sizes only the unit cables are peak 1.5 and off peak 2.5.
This biggest issue is I have two which are to be fed in a workshop supplied from the main house. the whole house is on dual tariff. I need to know as there are two feeds if I can run them in on the same supply cable as they shouldn't be drawing at the same time made off to 2 sfs.
i have attempted to contact dimplex direct but have been fobbed off before the "I will just take some advice off our engineer" only to be cut off (not happy!!!).
its happened twice now so I'm throwing in the towel.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there,

This is my first post on the forum so hope it helps.

What size are the heaters? 70, 100, 125 or 150? if there are two of the 70's then you would probably be ok to use one of the feeds for the off peak and the other feed for the peak. If there are any of the other sizes then I would run a third cable and have two separate feeds for the off peak supplies and the other to be used for the peak supply. Supply cables in 2.5 T&E up to 20amp double pole switches for off peak and 13amp sfs for peak. From the switches I would use 1.5 heat resistance flex. I would use 16amp mcb's in the off peak board and a 16/20amp mcb in the peak as a raidial. As an alternative if there is already power in the workshop then take your peak supply directly from here to the sfs. I have installed about 100 of these last year as part of the companies NSN heating upgrades and it is still on going.

Thank you Howard they are 100. Do you know if they have a timer for drawing on the off peak or will I have to fit a timer in the cu or something similar. So there can only be power to the off peak part during the allocated hours?
thanks again

Thank you Howard they are 100. Do you know if they have a timer for drawing on the off peak or will I have to fit a timer in the cu or something similar. So there can only be power to the off peak part during the allocated hours?
thanks again

No you do not have to fit a timer or anything else. They work like ordinary storage heaters in that there will heat up the bricks when the off peak period starts as long as they are switched on. A good point to note is that unlike the old types the Quantums will only charge up what they need during the night time to keep them fully charged that is if there have used only half there charge during the day then there will only charge up for half a charge so saving costs. One downside is that at midnight every day the heaters circuit board will look at what has been used during the daytime. This means that if it had been a warm day and the heaters had been turned down it would of only used a % of its heat, if the customer did not turn the temperature back up before they went to bed then the heater at midnight will see how much heat is left in the heater and may think that there is enough heat left in the heater to last the next day and will not heat the bricks thus saving costs. This may be alright if the next day was again warm but an absolute bugger if it was a cold one. I hope this makes sense.

Reply to Dimplex quantum heaters on dual tariff in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net