Discuss Din Rail Enclosure in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get a Din Rail Enclosure like this, well this size,

Dimensions (w x h x d) 300mm x 220mm x 120mm

Basically the Wago DRE-5 DIN Rail Enclosure, which It wont let me link to.

For less money?

The other thought I had was to use an empty MK consumer unit to put them all in? Do you think that would be a cowboy job or acceptable? It would fit and save me £30+

It just to extend a load of circuits and move the board lower down the wall.

Yeah I know the forum was stripping bit out, but if you google for that enclosure you will see, I've tried eddies etc and none of them do one similar in size. What do you reckon to using an empty consumer unit if I fit a load of blanks into the front and label it etc. I'll assemble one in a bit and put a pic up then you can see.

go here: WEBSITEADDRESS.com/shop/topjob-din-rail-mounted-terminals/din-rail-accessories/dre-5-din-rail-enclosure.html

but replace WEBSITEADDRESS with wagobox

I have solved my problem, im going to use a spare MK consumer unit chasis, the front, ive got some clear perspex ill glue to the read of the hole instead of blanks, seems to fit, once all the connectors are on and the end stops, it will look fine, its going to me a matching MK consumer unit fitted below anyway, so it will look ok. Ill peel the stickers off etc and clean it up, I feel there's probably just enough room to get the conductors in ok, ill try it later.

2014-05-31 13.57.41.jpg2014-05-31 13.58.04.jpg2014-05-31 13.58.18.jpg
2014-05-31 13.58.51.jpg2014-05-31 13.59.35.jpg

dinrail.jpg

here's one i made earlier.the cpc of the 10mm was re-dressed after the pic.

Here's one i did before too, just trying to save on costs as doing the whole job for £300 inc new board for 10 circuits. Just means I make another £30 odd pound using this old ox, well its new, just a spare empty one.
DSC06015.JPG

Keep the empty CU for another job and get yourself a plastic adaptable box. You can buy them with a precut bit of din rail pretty cheaply.

Using the CU enclosure as a joint box is going to look like a bit of a bodge, even if it is compliant.

Using the CU enclosure as a joint box is going to look like a bit of a bodge, even if it is compliant.

I don't know you know, it's looking pretty good actually, I am quite impressed with the almost finished article! Just need to wait for something to dry then ill take a picture.

Now, usually I would go and buy an enclosure, but the customer wants to keep the cost right down and this is the next alternative. Like I said im only charging £300 for the whole job anyway and making pittance in labour.

OK check this out... all finished. Do you still think it will look a bodge? I don't, personally I think it will look good, with that at the top, and a matching one 3ft lower with a bit of trunking between. it cleaned up too. Nice! Comments appreciated.

2014-05-31 19.36.45.jpg2014-05-31 19.36.34.jpg

Yes, I would still think it was a bit suspect if I encountered it in an installation.

It looks like a DIY effort at achieving something which could have been simpler.

Does the cost of the MK board, the Perspex and your time to put it together equal less than a plastic dappy box with din rail?

Well as I had am empty cu box as above, I already had a load of Perspex, it only took a few mins to cut it out then stick it in, this way it's not cost me anything. At the end of the day I think it will look fine with two of these on the wall, you only need to open the flap and you can see what's in it.

i don't think it looks messy, or DIYish particularly, it shuts with a matching lid so it all looks like an enclosure .

If the customer doesn't want to pay for a proper box then he gets this, it's the only way I could get the price down, I am not making a total of £165 profit on the job.

I kind of get the idea of the CU - have 2 CUs next to each other instead of a CU and an adaptable box, but a CU is meant primarily for safety isolation devices, not exclusively for wagos with a bit of perspex over the front.
I agree with Dave - I reckon an adaptable box would be cheaper, possibly better suited, and even look more professional because it wouldn't look like something it isn't. If you're going to stick with the CU, at least take the ident stickers off.

If the customer won't pay to have the job done properly then walk away, don't lower your standards to account for them wanting a cheaper job. If you know they are going to try and knock your prices down then add a bit on to your price so that you can 'do them a favour and round it down a bit' when they ask.

Are you saying that the empty box and the Perspex were free when you originally got them?

Reply to Din Rail Enclosure in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net