Discuss Din rail timer contactor wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

U

urbanmonkey

Got a call out to a pub today, outside lights weren't working. What a mess the wiring is, as usual done by a large 'reputable' electrical contractor! DB for externals fed from supply side of switch on another DB, blanks missing from, no grommets in it 6mm Earth for the 25mm tails feeding the DB for outside lights and to top it off 0.75Mohm insulation resistance on the armoured supplying one set of lights. They done an EICR in April and gave it 5years! I've sorted the DB supply, the Earthing issue and isolated the circuit with the poor resistance reading pending further action, fitted a 25A 30ma RCD into the outside DB (there was just a 100A DP switch) however I've got a din rail mounted timer and contactor to fit in an outside DB, someone had been playing and they were all out in a box when I got there, I've not come across these before and to be quite frank I'm a bit miffed with the wiring of them, could anybody please point me in the direction of some diagrams etc, none of the terminals are marked at all on either of them. I'm not a maintenance man messing about I'm a fully qualified spark with a tired brain :confused5:

feed the coil of the contactor through the timer. you can supply timer from a smaller fused circuit than the load. then from your load fuse/MCB feed the contactor "IN" on L1, L2 whatever and the load from T1, T2.

Yeah my plan was that the timer would feed the contactor but what was left for me was a timer with a connection made from terminal 1 to 3 then from terminal 4, to terminal a1 on the contactor. At a guess on the timer terminal 1 is live supply and 2 is neutral, and 4 is switched output. as for the contactor a1 must be live supply but the other 5 are a mystery, a2 neutral supply and top terminals live out and bottom neutral out?

post a pic. then we can have a stab at it.

tazz, what software do you use? it'd take me a couple of hours to do that with visio. he could also switch the N with the spare contactor terminals if he wanted 2 pole.

Mainly Auto cad...For Quick drawings Serif....Electronic or pcb drawings Protel 99SE

You have put the whole load, rather than just the contactor coil, through the timer there! I think!:computer:

yep, i spotted it just after posting it. teach me to try and be clever. :4:

Here's a better effort, done sober.

Drawing1.jpgas you can see, i'm more used to drawing on a beermat trhan this new-fangled COD stuff.

Last edited:

Reply to Din rail timer contactor wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net