Discuss Diode's in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm needing help with some diode's I'm trying to install on my truck I bought 2 1amp diodes that I'm trying to use on my truck I got them from the parts and they go in a mini fuse holder I hook them up to my battery to see if they did there purpose I had 12v one way and nothing the other which is good doin what there suppose to but when I put them inline and hooked it up to my electric fan they got hot and melted now there's power goin both ways is 1amp to small and the fans pulling to many or what thanks in advance

Not sure what you are wanting the diodes to do exactly, but it does sound like your fan may be drawing more than 1A. Is there a rating plate on it? Do you have a multimeter?

Not sure what you are wanting the diodes to do exactly, but it does sound like your fan may be drawing more than 1A. Is there a rating plate on it? Do you have a multimeter?

Yes sir I have a .multimeter and my 16 ram has 2 fans a eletric fan for the a/c and a clutch fan for the engine I'm trying to do a efan swap that connects to the a/c connector and do away with the clutch fan only thing is factory programming fan dont come till 240 degrees so I'm trying to put a diode in place so I can install a temp sensor that will power the fan on at 190 degrees and not send power back to the computer of my truck and keep the fan working for the a/c as well

Connect an ammeter in series with the fan. Ensure it is capable of reading several amps. Let us know what figure you get. Don't connect any diodes when testing, and ensure you wire it in series.

I'm not sure is there away to check and see how much I didn't see a level saying or anything

See my previous post. Make sure you have an ammeter that can measure 20 or 30 amps or so though.

Last edited:
If you have something that draws a known current , like a head light bulb , may be able to build an ammeter shunt out of thin steel objects ... Warning they may get hot at 20A .. then measure volts with multimeter and scale result to what you get with headlight -60/100 W 5.. 8.3A
-- Do keep this bodgery away from shorting on other things ..ie in a Wooden Box --

(Diodes do make POOR fuses .as they usually MELT and fail SHORTED)

Last edited:

Reply to Diode's in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net