Discuss Disconnected CT's and EICR coding in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

davesparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm having a bit of a brain fog moment (changing medication is such good fun!) and am looking for confirmation that I'm either right or talking nonsense.

I've been to a job to have a look at why a set of ammeters aren't working, I've established the main reason they don't work is that someone has disconnected them, pretty simple so far.

But the CT's which fed these ammeters have been disconnected and left open-circuit, I'm pretty damned sure they should have been either shorted out or removed and that's what I'm looking for confirmation of.

And the second question how would you code this on an EICR? I would give it a C2 as it is behind a panel on a switchboard but is a set of terminals with, potentially, a 4 figure voltage between them.

I agree, an open circuit CT can have some big voltage’s across the terminals.
I would not be hooking them back up until I confirmed that the cable is carrying no current.

Its a good question, i think you can code it a number of ways but C2 would be a good start. Having higher voltages than the cable was designed for is a good start, obvious shock potential for anyone trying to fault find and fix. Sometimes though, for the sake of it, i sometimes just fix it , there and then. Any chance of just linking them out or at least if the Cts are clip ons, just remove them, (quiet time obviously)

Its a good question, i think you can code it a number of ways but C2 would be a good start. Having higher voltages than the cable was designed for is a good start, obvious shock potential for anyone trying to fault find and fix. Sometimes though, for the sake of it, i sometimes just fix it , there and then. Any chance of just linking them out or at least if the Cts are clip ons, just remove them, (quiet time obviously)

We're booking in an out of hours visit for a full shutdown to fix some serious nasties and I'll sort this out while I'm there.

I'm not doing an EICR on this, someone else did and completely missed this despite spotting other issues behind the same access panel.

I agree with just fixing it and would have done that if I had been doing an EICR and had the supply isolated at the time.

Reply to Disconnected CT's and EICR coding in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net