Discuss Disconnecting a 3 phase compressor in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lish70

Hi all, I've just been asked to disconnect a 3 phase compressor. Not having done this before is it just a case of power off, disconnect then power back on or is there something special I'm missing out or need to consider?
Regards.

find where the 3ph compressor is fed from. isolate it. test dead at the copressor, check your tester on a known supply, and check dead again. disconnect compressor. I would perosnally lock the isloator off, if it has one. If not, and it is fed straight from the board, then i would personally disconnect the cables also from the breaker.

If you are still not sure, than ask someone to assist you Ie supervisor, or more experienced sparks

If it purely electrical then you just need to disconnect and make the circuit safe.

If responsible for the air side then you need to make sure that the system is not pressurised before you start undoing couplings and sorts. Though most will have non return vlaves fitted, not rote that they work. So turn off and normally there are ball valves on the accumalator which you open that will vent the air. Don't worry if you get a little water as well, as that will be normal.

Cheers Johnboy, that's exactly what I expected so no surprises there. Just thought that there might be something extra that I needed to take into consideration that I was over looking. As I'm recently qualified and starting out as self employed this will be the first invoice I've ever sent out. My question is a daft one but do you charge VAT on labour?
Regards.

your spot on johnny but I stupidly enough thought he was as he asked the VAT question. Then realsed as soon as I sent it that the chances are he wasn't

So to clear up if your VAT registered then you do have to charge VAT on labour

Just one to note chaps,

I have heard that the way they calculate to see if you should be paying VAT may be no longer down to yearly turnover.

The limit will be divided into 12 and if you exceed the monthly allowance three times in a row then you will need to be registered.

All word of mouth at the mo tho.

find where the 3ph compressor is fed from. isolate it. test dead at the copressor, check your tester on a known supply, and check dead again. disconnect compressor. I would perosnally lock the isloator off, if it has one. If not, and it is fed straight from the board, then i would personally disconnect the cables also from the breaker.

If you are still not sure, than ask someone to assist you Ie supervisor, or more experienced sparks

Tut tut, you know thats not the done way anymore ;)

Reply to Disconnecting a 3 phase compressor in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net