Discuss dissconection times in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Farmelectrics

-
Arms
Reaction score
a disconection time of not more than 0.4seconds for circuts not exceeding 32a and 5seconds for circuts exceeding 32a been asked a question why is this surely the higher the current it should have a lower disconection time how do i explain this to a young keen apprentice

a disconection time of not more than 0.4seconds for circuts not exceeding 32a and 5seconds for circuts exceeding 32a been asked a question why is this surely the higher the current it should have a lower disconection time how do i explain this to a young keen apprentice

People are less likely to come into contact with these circuits. so there is lessdanger.
The 5secs. is more to protect the installation

Because a circuit lower than 32a is more likely to feed items that are hand held or portable , thus a quicker time.
above 32a usually big fixed loads or sub-mains.

In reality an MCB can trip anywhere from 0.1 to 5 seconds at that breakers instantaneous fault current... Which is why Zs values are important, especially on non RCD protected circuits or supplies...

Was that a veiled warming to RCDs, E54? :bucktooth:

Nothing wrong with RCD's at all, ....so long as you don't totally rely on them like so many here seems too. They are at the end of the day classed as ''Additional Protection'' (except on a TT installation) not a cure all device, or a get out of trouble protection device!!

Your installations Zs is your primary earth fault protection....

My interpretation is that you have to allow 5 secs disconnection time, in order to allow for time delayed discrimination in larger premises. Also, if every disconnection time was 0.4, then your submains would have to be larger to allow for the lower resistance, which would be needed to permit the extra fault current to flow, to meet the shorter disconnection times.

My interpretation is that you have to allow 5 secs disconnection time, in order to allow for time delayed discrimination in larger premises. Also, if every disconnection time was 0.4, then your submains would have to be larger to allow for the lower resistance, which would be needed to permit the extra fault current to flow, to meet the shorter disconnection times.

In the bigger picture of things yes...

But let's take a domestic with a 40A Type B MCB protecting an outbuildings sub-CU that has say one 16A and one 6A Type B MCB's (forget about any RCD's in this instance) All the MCB's involved in this installation will have the same time /current curves eg, ...0.1 to 5 seconds. So what is the going to determine, that the downstream breakers are going to operate before the supplying 40A breaker??

So what is the going to determine, that the downstream breakers are going to operate before the supplying 40A breaker??

Indeed, which is why in my view MCBs should not be connected in series as selectivity (discrimination) cannot reliably be achieved.

I recently had an NICEIC DI assessment, and I quoted those figures to the assessor during a test on a TN system, who didn’t know what I was talking about? :confused:

Reply to dissconection times in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock