Discuss Distance between sockets and fcu's in Kitchen? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tasty

Hi,I'm just mounting 3 back boxes for 3 seperate functions above a kitchen surface, one double socket, one cooker switch and one 2 gang control switch for the fridge and under cupboard lights. I was just wondering if there is a min distance to observe between these? I'm most concerned about the plasterers actually as they're using 50mm sound proof board so I dont want to leave awkward 20mm gaps for them to fill (or am I being too nice?) ;DSounds like a simple question but I can't remember if there is a distance between sockets to be observed!?Cheers for any replies!

So long as your socket outlets fit and do not foul the one next to it then stuff the plasterer. If it's too awkward he'll just chop damage or hide your cables anyway so why not give him something to work for :D

Also, ....you can buy 2 double outlet boxes and one single box as a complete unit!! So, will take care of the double socket, the cooker control unit and the 2 gang switch nicely!!

Here's an example....

STA60978.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Standard white accessories (MK/crabtree etc) allow exactly one inch between the centres of the M3.5mm fixing holes of adjacent boxes, the accessories will then butt up together....if there is any possibility of metal faced accessories allow a bigger gap.

Thats just cheating!!!

Maybe!! ...but they serve the purpose. ...To be honest, i hadn't come across them before going to Cyprus, (but now know they are available in the UK!!) My house there, has quite a few of them installed in the Kitchen, Utility room, and in the lounge where i have my home cinema set up located.

The finished appearance isn't bad either...

Thanks for that Engineer, I's actually after the one on the right (three singles) but was told they aren't manufactured! Now that I know they're about it's a case of finding one. Cheers

Also, ....you can buy 2 double outlet boxes and one single box as a complete unit!! So, will take care of the double socket, the cooker control unit and the 2 gang switch nicely!!

Here's an example....

STA60978.jpg

Thanks for that Engineer, I's actually after the one on the right (three singles) but was told they aren't manufactured! Now that I know they're about it's a case of finding one. Cheers

Your welcome...lol!! They actually come in many configurations, these 3 were the only types in the wholesalers at the time. Some are over half a metre long...lol!!!

I use 20mm metal conduit couplers and brass bushes.
Two between each box, keeps the boxes in line.

I do exactly the same thing, comes out perfect every time. I find those all in one boxes a real ball ache sometimes when using decorative plates, some manufacturers make their plates slightly wider outside of the lugs and it can be a bit of a wrestling match.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Distance between sockets and fcu's in Kitchen? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net