Discuss Distance Calculation to find fault in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mr.Black

Does anyone know or where to find the calculation you do to find a fault/break in a circuit that can't be physically traced.I'm sure i've seen it somewhere in one of my books but can't remember.

Cheers

If its a break then to find the fault you need a TDR (Time domain reflectometer), it basically sends a signal down the wire and at the break the signal gets 'reflected' back, based on the time it takes the signal to return, it can tell you how far down the cable the fault is.

If the fault is a dead short between cores then by doing a resistance measurement between the shorted cores and knowing the resistance of the conductor (based on CSA) per meter, you maybe able to gauge how far away the 'short' is. If the 'short' is not a 0 ohm short then you've got a problem!

Yes i vaguely remember this.The conductor resistances are near the back of GN 3.........please correct me if i'm wrong.

tdr is the thing to have but at 3k each its a luxury,do you know any bt engineers,they use them

If it is a dead short say on a radial caused by a nail connecting two of the conductors(if it is a ring disconnect one end) test resistance between conductors at CU and sockets - the position with the smallest reading is the closest. Identify the conductor size - and look up the resistance per metre in table 9A of the OSG for the size of the conductors involved. Divide that value into the lowest resistance reading and you have the distance of that reading from the fault.

Only works really well if you have a very good contact between conductors, but even if it is not perfect can still get you close to it.

Reply to Distance Calculation to find fault in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock