Discuss DISTANCE from D/G socket to max reach of pull out kitchen tap ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

LukeD

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Distance from D/G socket to extended pull out kitchen tap ? Kitchen tap when pulled out is easily with 400 mm of a D/G socket . Not my job . Just asking for clarification etc

Don't think there is an actual stated distance in 7671. It would rely on the 'suitable for external influences' test. (Is it likely to be sprayed by the tap, etc).

Lots of bathroom zone pics online that show a zone around the tap but that's not actually based on anything in the Regs

There might be something in other guidance or building Regs...

Looks like Guidance Note 1 may say "It is preferable that accessories should not be installed within 300mm of a stainless steel sink unit top"

Though that's again not an absolute requirement...

According to this page, NICEIC guide and NHBC seems to state a minimum distance of 300mm....

Edit: Never seen this document before before, but the NICEIC guide to electrical work in the kitchen says

"Electrical sockets or switches should be fitted at a safe distance (it is recommended at least 30cm horizontally) from a sink to avoid the chance of water coming into contact with electricity."

Electrical Safety First also say:

"To avoid water coming into contact with electricity, make sure that your sockets or switches are fitted at a safe distance (at least 30cm horizontally) from the sink."

so looks like 300mm is guidance, but a good rule of thumb...

300mm is a recommendation not an absolute.

Seem to recall the guidance (which seems emanates from NHBC) has the 300mm figure from the bowl of the kitchen sink, and not including the draining board.

Its 450mm from the kitchen tap .But once that pull out spout section is extended . The spout can reach to 30mm from the socket .

Its 450mm from the kitchen tap .But once that pull out spout section is extended . The spout can reach to 30mm from the socket .
You can't design for what some idiot customer might do. If they're daft enough to spray water on a socket then they may be just as likely to pour a jug of water onto a socket. Or let the steam from a kettle spout be directed onto a socket.

The actual recommended distance of 300mm is horizontally from the edge of the sink/drainer.

Reply to DISTANCE from D/G socket to max reach of pull out kitchen tap ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net