Discuss Distance Learning Information. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BobRivers

Hello,

Been looking for a few weeks regarding re-training as a Domestic Electrician. Looked at various courses for vast amounts of money(Qualified in 3-5mths Don't think so) and have been reading this forum for a few weeks and decided against going down that route.

I work in the Fire Industry so have some basic knowledge electrically. I have been having trouble finding distance learning courses. The one I would like to start on is C&G 2330 Level 2. Then after a year or two Level 3. The only one i can find is Bridgewater in Somerset. I would like one in Scotland if possible.

Would this be the correct one to start with?

I am no spring chicken (41-ouch) but am looking to gain experience between 3-4 years and see how it will progress.

Colleges have not been a great help as most of the people I have spoken to don't seem to know what courses they are running or don't have the time to talk to you as i am not unemployed and not able to do a full time course. It appears if your not working the more opportunities you have which seems a bit unfair.

Does anybody know any other distance learning courses available to start off in the Industry?

Help appreciated

Thanks.

Thanks I will try there. Iis there anybody who knows of any in Scotland and also if this is the best course to begin with.

Thanks again.

hello again, i believe most people start with the 2330 leve 2, this includeds most apprentasies haven;t got a clue if this is valid in scotland, maybe give city and guilds a call?

Hello,

I have been on the phone for almost two days to so many colleges to find out what you can and can't do. I feel a bit P***** off, i have been Informed that unless you are between 16-18 you are unable to train as an electrician unless you can find a company willing to take you on as a mature apprentice. I can not find one college in Scotland that will allow you to do SVQ Level 3 unless you are already working in the Industry. I was told that SECTT set the standards and this is what they all go by.

I have contacted them twice and have been promised someone will phone back - Guess what I am still waiting.

I feel that at 41 if you want to re-train you should be able too.

Can somebody please confirm this?

I have spoken to a chap in Stratford upon Avon college who was the most helpful i have spoken to you can do city&Guilds Level 2/3 by distance learning and the qualification will be accepted anywhere but the problem I will have is to get my JIB card as I need to be working with some company to be assessed.

Is there anybody else having the same issues and feel the same way regarding re-training

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks Dog Looked it up but it just looks like one of these rip of companys looking for loads of money.

Any other feedback on my previous question?

thanks.

hi bob sorry dont know much about distance learning cant see how it would work.
where in scotland are you my sister works in admin in a glasgow college maybe
able to get info from other colleges for you

Cheers Dog But you have to be an apprentice to do this course.

Every college in Scotland is the same(They are all governed by SECTT) if you are not an apprentice there is no way you can do the course part time or distance learning.

With the amount of people out of work in these times and possibly looking to re-train this is the best the colleges can provide?

I belive this is wrong, there should be opportunities for anybody who wants to enhance their career.

sorry bob i left scotland a long time ago there was no such thing as fast track qualifications back
then.
so a part p domestic installer would not be reconized as been qualified is that correct.
why dont you call the james watt college see what the min requirments are
if you done c&g 2382 and 2391 they are both pt eve courses
and enroled for 2330 1+2 you would be a mature apprentice

hi bob one more question for you if you do get distance learning course elswhere
will they reconize your qualifications to allow you to work in scotland

Last edited:
Hi Bob

Did you manage to get any further with re-training? :mad:

Ive also been searching for a route to take to get qualified in Scotland

Here is what Ive found out in the past couple of weeks regarding apprenticeship/college/private training hope this helps

SECTT are responsible for the intake of candidates into the industry by modern or adult apprenticeship then once completed you get your SJIB Card.

Colleges that i spoke to only seem to be interested in candidates coming from SECTT into the apprenticeship schemes unless you are only looking to do the smaller courses i.e. 17th edition etc, i was enquiring about the c&q 2330 level 2 & 3.

Unless you are employed within the industry for a minimum of 1 year and over 22 years old you can apply with your employers approval to enter the Adult route through SECTT. If you go down the route which seems to be the fast expensive route of private training either local or distant you can only get the status of "competent" not "qualified" if theres a difference, once registered with organisations like NICEIC etc

Hope this helps :confused:

P.S. also part P only applies to Eng & Wales

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Distance Learning Information. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net