Discuss Distribution Board in Commercial premises in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Ssc

Hi
Before I start, just to let you know, I'm a H&S professional , who went for an interview/assessment yesterday.
I pointed out a distribution boards, on a busy commercial property which was hidden behind machinery & equipment. I have always been told, by maintenance, that there is a requirement to allow easy access to the board in case of emergencies. The assessor was not aware of this requirement.
So my question is twofold:
1. Is there a legal requirement to leave a suitable space around the board for access?
2. Or is this just classed as 'best practice.?'

Thanks for hearing me out.

usually 1 metre working distance, i believe, and i may be wrong, it is in building regs, i think there is a thread on here somewhere discussing it, try a search...

A distribution board or any other electrical panel shouldn't be located near working hazardous equipment anyway, and would require a much greater safe working area if it did!!

If your a H&S inspector, surely it should be us asking you, rather than the other way round !!...lol!!

Thanks for that Crishh, I have read that one up, I thought there might be specific dimensions or guidelines that you professionals use.
Richy, sorry what does 'BGB' stand for?

Thanks

Lol, totally understand where you are coming from Engineer, I have always stood by 1 m space in front of the board, or the board be 'readily' accessible if required in an emergency.
The assessment yesterday was at a truck shop, and the board didn't fit any of the rules, but the interviewer insisted that there was nothing in the regs, I'm just trying to give him the facts, could mean a job or carry on signing on.
You all know how some(if not most) H&S people can be.......lol

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Jay

As I remember the reason for 1mtr or 1 yard as it was when I started, was to prevent persons working on the board who received a shock and were thrown off, from bouncing back onto the board for a second or subsequent shock.

There were (and probably still are) very few people with arms longer than 1 yard (1mtr)

I don't remember it being in the regs of the day (1967) but it was a Civil Service working practice, most of which later became the foundation of the H&S acts.

Hi Ssc. Have a took at EN60204 section 11.5. (Access to control gear) which states:
In cases where:
– equipment is likely to be live during access; and
– conducting parts are exposed,
the clear width shall be at least 1,0 m. In cases where such parts are present on both sides of the access way, the clear width shall be at least 1,5 m.

Hi Ssc. Have a took at EN60204 section 11.5. (Access to control gear) which states:
In cases where:
– equipment is likely to be live during access; and
– conducting parts are exposed,
the clear width shall be at least 1,0 m. In cases where such parts are present on both sides of the access way, the clear width shall be at least 1,5 m.

You could argue that doesn't apply to modern boards which have fully enclosed live parts once opened, although there's always someone who couldn't be bothered to refit the internal covers.

You could argue that doesn't apply to modern boards which have fully enclosed live parts once opened, although there's always someone who couldn't be bothered to refit the internal covers.

Very true, but it may apply to when you need to do maintenance or testing of circuits.

All these stated figures on widths of clear space etc, are all minimum. Think about a Switchboard or the like with ''withdrawable'' ACB's/MCCB's, 1 metre or 1.5 metre wouldn't come even close to the clear space required to remove or replace these ACB's/MCCB's!!

Not sure how tight it was - e.g. could the DB cover be opened ? - this will need 1/2 mtre at least , some DBs are much bigger so depends really, then is the door hinge the right side so you can actually get at it.
This is for the purpose of isolation, never mide working on the board.
BS7671 covers this and although not dimensioned, it has to be accessible. I have come across DBs that you simply cannot get at for plant and machinery so i assume nothing about the situation you have come across.

Now if you were going to work on it, that is another matter. You need to be able to totally remove the cover which is screwed on, this usually mean the door has to be fully open to remove the screws. Then you need room to work........ Accessable to me is a minimum of 1M probably more like 1.5-2.

FWIW i code installations i come across with inadequate access when i carry out inspections to BS7671

Hi
Before I start, just to let you know, I'm a H&S professional , who went for an interview/assessment yesterday.
I pointed out a distribution boards, on a busy commercial property which was hidden behind machinery & equipment. I have always been told, by maintenance, that there is a requirement to allow easy access to the board in case of emergencies. The assessor was not aware of this requirement.
So my question is twofold:
1. Is there a legal requirement to leave a suitable space around the board for access?
2. Or is this just classed as 'best practice.?'

Thanks for hearing me out.

Pull the other one, it's got bells on it.

A H&S professional would not be asking on a web site for basic safety information.

Pull the other one, it's got bells on it.

A H&S professional would not be asking on a web site for basic safety information.

If you read my first post it states that I have always recommended a 1m distance. I am asking for best practice, because as you can see from the replies there does not appears to be a specific measurement stated.
it might be a basic question for persons who do this for a living, but this is not my normal area..

thanks for all the replies, I appreciate your help

Reply to Distribution Board in Commercial premises in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net