Discuss Distribution Board to IP44 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If it's in a cowshed or somewhere similar I would use a galv IP44 enclosure to house the DB, more for damage prevention than water / dust ingress.

If it's in a cowshed or somewhere similar I would use a galv IP44 enclosure to house the DB, more for damage prevention than water / dust ingress.

This is my first farm installation replacing antiquated DBs. What I can't get my head around is that I've never seen anything but standard dbs on farms. None of it is IPX4 rated, but it doesn't seem to be available either. IPX6, yes, but what farmer has or will pay for that?
Can't find suppliers for IP44 enclosures either at the moment - needs to be 500 square by 200 deep. Aha use IP65!!
Cheers
Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not familiar with the UK suppliers but any company that makes outdoor marshaling cabinets or metering enclosures should have what you're looking for.

Last one I got a hold of was off the shelf at C.E.F. , IP65 was in a shed with a 3 phase fan unit

Jamie

Thanks Guys for your suggestions.
The economical answer was to put the IP41 board inside a metal IP65 cabinet.
Works out at £184 + VAT for a 4 way 3ph board.
Apart from the huge cost saving, the IP65 cabinet is probably more vermin and hoof proof than the GRP or Plastic jobbies. Also provides a second line of defense.
Downside is it takes more space - but that's what I've got plenty of.
Cheers
Pete

That's exactly the way we do those kind of jobs where aesthetics aren't an issue. We usually use a dipped galv IP65 enclosure for corrosion protection then you can install a readily available and reasonably priced DB box inside it.

That's exactly the way we do those kind of jobs where aesthetics aren't an issue. We usually use a dipped galv IP65 enclosure for corrosion protection then you can install a readily available and reasonably priced DB box inside it.

Hi Marvo
Thanks for your reply.
The 3ph 25 sqmm tails need to come in through one hole. What sort of gland do you need to use to maintain the required IP44 integrity?
Regards
Pete

Hi Marvo
Thanks for your reply.
The 3ph 25 sqmm tails need to come in through one hole. What sort of gland do you need to use to maintain the required IP44 integrity?
Regards
Pete

normal compression glands will be fine, but if the unit its ferrous, then you will have to do one of the following:

1)make a glandplate out of a non ferrous material, and use this to gland your cables onto.

2) drill your holes as nomal in the galv, but also cut a small 2mm slot between them. then use some sort of sealant/resin/glue to seal the slot.

Reply to Distribution Board to IP44 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock