Discuss distribution board in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tielboy

3 phase 12 way dist board with triple pole breakers of 3 X 63A, 4 X 20A, 1 X 6A, 1 X 16A breakers and single pole breakers of 1 X 6A, 2 X 16A, 2 X 20A and 2 X 32A.
What rating should the integrated switch disconnector be?
How do I work it out ?
The board runs motors, flu lighting and sockets.

The Main Switch Neads To Be Able To Carry The Total Load ,which In The Above Case Will Require At Least 350A Main Switch,this Should Allready Be Fitted ,63a Breakers Wont Fit In A Board Thata Too Small To Take Them
I Think That This Is How You Work It Out ,but Cheak With Manufacturers Data To Cheack
Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
it is a sub panel. but checking RS etc a switch disconnector for any dist board is either 100A, 125A or 200A.
please advise

this strays into design area ,but the reason i ask your incoming kva is that sets your incomer size . have you calculated your sub main cable yet?
for this you need to apply diversity to your loads or do you intend to run them 100% 24 7
as for incomer sizes merlin gerin ,how big do you want to go?you may not be using a MG panel board but just cause your breakers fit doesnt mean its big enough!!
i could fit 6 250a mccbs into a board backed up by a 800a incomer (but i wouldnt)
sorry if im rambling:D

I need help....I'm an italian guy with the passion for the electrician
world…I find a kind of board that I didn’t know, I think this is the english standard, I understand that below there is the mccb, and above the first way for mcb or rcbo’s, but I don’t understand why the 2nd way isn’t connected (with busbar) at the first….Above there is a place for another mccb…but there isn’t the din rail….could someone help me to understand how set up this kind of board? The label report 2+2 way…and not 4 ways……
thank u…

Attachments

• board.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 72
I need help....I'm an italian guy with the passion for the electrician
world…I find a kind of board that I didn’t know, I think this is the english standard, I understand that below there is the mccb, and above the first way for mcb or rcbo’s, but I don’t understand why the 2nd way isn’t connected (with busbar) at the first….Above there is a place for another mccb…but there isn’t the din rail….could someone help me to understand how set up this kind of board? The label report 2+2 way…and not 4 ways……
thank u…

Well it's obviously some sort of dual source board, set up for using 2 incoming devices. used where two supplies are to be controlled, for example mains and a standby source such as a fixed or portable generator set or photo-voltaic etc. I would expect some sort of interlocking though so that both sources couldn't be simultaneously 'on line' but the lack of a linking bar between the two groups suggests that this is not what's going on here.

What is the intended use?
Who specified and supplied it? you? the client? your boss? I'm a bit confused as to how the situation arose.
Have you got the manufacturer and model number?
Any assembly/instruction information supplied with it? there must be some more parts to it in a box somewhere surely as I'm not seeing any neutral link fitted for one thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for this explanation, well, I was only confused by this Board, but this isn't part of my job. One friend of mine toke a job trip to Saudi Arabia and take a picture of this board, sice i was at technic school I'm affascinated by electric world, and I don't understant how to set up this particular kind of board.
During another trip in Dubai my friend understood that this is a split busbar board and it is used for 2 separated circuit:
Split busbar DBs are generally used when it is required to have separate protection for selective circuits.
the new specification for Split bus bar DBs, the circuit will generally be configured as follows.
Primary incomer – 4 pole Isolator ( or MCBs)
Sub incomer – 2 numbers 4P RCCBs.
- One RCCB will be of high sensitivity ( 30 mA ) – this RCCB would be connected to Section one of outgoings (MCBs). These outgoings are connected to “control loads” as it is called, which are basically,the switched sockets, shavers, cooker units etc where human interaction is more and hence the level of protection.
- The other RCCB will be of low sensitivity ( 100/300 mA ) – this RCCB would be connected to Section two of outgoings (MCBs). These outgoings are connected to “lighting loads”. Here since the risk is less, it is considered OK to use RCCBs of low sensitivity.
Outgoings – MCBs

This is the right answer...but thank u too much for your reply

Reply to distribution board in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net