Discuss Distribution boards location in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I have never come across this before but is it OK to put a DB on the ceiling. We have had some cabins in and the db's are all on the ceiling. I have said this is wrong but my supervisor insists it is OK. Any input would be appreciated.

They come from Portugal flat packed and assembled over here. Yes the lids hang down.
I'd say if the lid hangs down that would be proof enough that they weren't designed to be fitted to the ceiling?

If it was a new build domestic, then Building Regulations would come into it too, as consumer units are meant to comply with accessibility for heights etc. But I guess cabins (commercial?) might not be covered by that.

From a purely technical point, I can't see an immediate reason for them not being safe like that - though if there were any holes in the rear of the consumer unit for cables to enter that weren't sealed, then any dust, not to mention water, would likely end up in there - so maybe not suitable for external influences?

I'd say if the lid hangs down that would be proof enough that they weren't designed to be fitted to the ceiling?

If it was a new build domestic, then Building Regulations would come into it too, as consumer units are meant to comply with accessibility for heights etc. But I guess cabins (commercial?) might not be covered by that.

From a purely technical point, I can't see an immediate reason for them not being safe like that - though if there were any holes in the rear of the consumer unit for cables to enter that weren't sealed, then any dust, not to mention water, would likely end up in there - so maybe not suitable for external influences?
I thought about accessibility as you would need steps to access it.

If it is domestic, you could say that the enclosure will not contain a fire as the plastic parts are not contained within a non combustible enclosure unless the lid is closed.
a check with the manufacturer of the board would be a good place to start.

If the metal cover flap is permanently open then it does not meet requirements for domestic installations.

If the metal cover flap is permanently open then it does not meet requirements for domestic installations.
Got a reg. no. For that?

not being awkward , honestly want to quote it in future discussion with customers.

Got a reg. no. For that?

not being awkward , honestly want to quote it in future discussion with customers.

Mmm, tricky question. But the fact that a consumer unit should enclosed in a non flammable material surely means the lid needs to be closed? Otherwise it's not enclosed.

Satisfactory answer?

i agree with you, ref: post 10
just wondered if you could help me back it up with something easy to quote!

i agree with you, ref: post 10
just wondered if you could help me back it up with something easy to quote!

Maybe:

Accessibility of electrical equipment Electrical equipment shall be arranged to provide:
(i) sufficient space for the initial installation and later replacement of individual items of electrical equipment
(ii) accessibility for operation, inspection, testing, fault detection, maintenance and repair

Though as usual thats open to interpretation.

If it is domestic:

421.1.201 Within domestic (household) premises, consumer units and similar switchgear assemblies shall comply with BS EN 61439-3 and shall:
(i) have their enclosure manufactured from non-combustible material, or
(ii) be enclosed in a cabinet or enclosure constructed of non-combustible material and complying with Regulation 132.12

Which would suggest that the lid being closed isn't necessary for part (i) - though perhaps there is something in 61439-3 re lids?

I'd bet that the manufacturers of the consumer unit themselves don't specify that it can be installed as it is, if only because they didn't expect anyone to do so.

When you state that the DB covers hang down, do you mean that they (obviously) open downwards or that they have no means of being retained in the closed position?

I'd be amazed if the latter was the case. We've worked on a number of modular cabins with this sort of arrangement and I'm yet to see one with a DB lid swinging freely.

Reply to Distribution boards location in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net