Discuss Distributors cut out fuse in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mmmm...probably money too. Will we have to pay an assessment fee on this too, do ya think?

Good info tho. Hopefully they can come up with some multi-lateral ruling so we all know where we stand.

Thanks Sav`

Doesn't metion a fee. Is only at the consultation stage though. You know how these things work.
The general gist that I got was they are hoping for a single scheme that covers the whole country instead of the localised ones they have at the moment.

We will have to wait and see how this pans out.:confused:

Well at least it is being addressed now.

Taken long enough though.

Couldn't agree more mate. The impression I get is that the contracting bodies and ESC are unhappy because the distibution companies all have differing policies that lead to dangerous and unsafe working practices.

They describe the proceadures for geting DNO to remove fuses as, and I quote
"confusing, time consuming and frustrating for both electrical contractors and their customers alike"

Just about sums it up for me.:)

Last edited:
"confusing, time consuming and frustrating for both electrical contractors and their customers alike"

Oh, they`ve tried ringing British Gas re: an isolator too :D

Can you guess what they ask when you ring...

That`s right...

"Sorry, but what`s an isolator please"

& that`s the technical department :eek:

Those given the wink, wink to carry on don`t know how lucky they are - Eon are "Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh NO, you couldn`t possibly remove the cutout!" merchants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, they`ve tried ringing British Gas re: an isolator too :D

Can you guess what they ask when you ring...

That`s right...

"Sorry, but what`s an isolator please"

& that`s the technical department :eek:

Those given the wink, wink to carry on don`t know how lucky they are - Eon are "Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh NO, you couldn`t possibly remove the cutout!" merchants.
I find the best way is to start reeling out bs codes for fuses and supply types it then tends to weed out the middle men, then you get the real technical department but you have to expect a few transfers.

All the DCUSA has a working group on the matter of letting non supply companies remove the fuse.

send an email to:
[email protected]

and ask them to keep you informed.

I have the latest version of this but it is too big to upload (39kB) so not that large if anyone wants it.

As ive said its our meter tails from their meter ! if they dont fit an isolator free as they should their in the wrong ! their stopping us touch our meter tails ! im ex S.E.B. meter engineer and when i rang metering had my old work mate answer he said as always just pull it you know what your doing and got/had the licence ! and ive pulled thousands of multiphase cutout fuses so know the dangers and have the PPE still ! even then when i rang another number and they said they would come around and pull/reseal it but that was 2mths ago !!!!!! lucky enough i also know all meter recert engineers in south and have most numbers so one call and i have a recert mate here in less than an hour anyway if needed ! if they cant sort this prob for contractors alot sooner then what choice do we have anyway ? how can you say to people yep i will be back in 2,3,4,5 mths etc when the DNO have been around ? i used to help people out and fit isolation meters ! works like a charm ! this should all be free ! at last yrs meeting S.E.B. said in 1st quarter they made £168 billion proffit ! and they put prices up !!!!!! as ive said i pull cutout fuses out but its up to you as ive got thousands of seals etc its your choice ! the amount of us that reported the unauthorized removal of cutout fuses and left unsealed and S.E.B.s response is DONT WORRY ABOUT IT !!!! it takes to much time/expence up chasing these things so just reseal them !!!!!!!!! as long as there isnt bypassed meters etc they dont care ! so be carefull when you wire the bypass CU that its from the meter and NOT the cutout just in case the meter reader sticks his head around the corner as YOU may not know them !
Regards
Kung.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Distributors cut out fuse in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net