Discuss Dividing showers by 240? Whaaaaa? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rocker

It's been mentioned on here, though I don't know if it's a bit tounge-in-cheek, that showers can be divided by 240v when rating. Is this true? And if so, how come?

Are you on about design current?

It's common for manufacturers to stick with 240V when they provide the rating of their equipment.

for example, they make a shower that works at 30Amps. They then have to provide it's power rating. If they use 240V, they can say its 7.2kW. Whilst if they used 230V, it would be 6.9kW.

Now if you put your product on the market, having switched to 230V, and your competitors stick to 240V. Although the showers are the same and both pull 30Amp, customers will see that one is 6.9kW whilst the other is 7.2kW so if they are the same price they are likely to think that the 7.2kW is the better value for money.

Last edited:
Whoa, so in actual fact I can rate a 9.5kW shower at a little under 40A? Is that correct?

I think I've replaced a lot of 6mm that didn't nbeed replacing in my time :rolleyes:

eggsactly. just what i was saying. never seen a 10kw pull more than 40A. usually nearer 36A. i have got a 9.5kw pulls no more than 37A on any setting. it's on 6mm and i've had temp. sensor on cable and the warmest it's ever been was 52deg. centigrade.

all you have to watch out for is when the 6mm cable is smothered in itchy poo.

Reply to Dividing showers by 240? Whaaaaa? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have just been called out to another burning shower switch.Upon removal the wires had been burnt and chared.One thing I've noticed on all burnt...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm not an electrician, more one of those 'competent DIYers', so probably the worst kind :) My electric shower broke, the shower firm came...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are renting and have a electric shower downstairs (extension) - a 9.5kW Triton T80Z fast-fit electric shower as well as a combi boiler...
Replies
Views
Hey all, Ive been in and out of a huge house rewiring as the renovate it for a year of so. Every is thing done and dusted except the downstairs...
Replies
Views
Went back it a house after they upgraded shower to a 9.8kw, pulling 40a constant. We had wired it with 10sq and 40a RCBO. 10sq Neutral cable...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock