Discuss DiY - Car Project in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Procyon

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to run a custom electronic engine control unit on one of my vehicles and to avoid cutting up the factory wiring harness. To do this I have found a 60 pin ECM plug from a breakout box and would like to connect the pins to flying leads. These leads would then go to the new control unit. I would like to connections to be robust and to be resistant to vibration.

What is the best way to do this? I'm attaching photos of the plug I plan to harvest. If there are any non-soldering methods I would be open to this. The gauges of the wires attached to the plug will vary from 14 gauge (ground wire) to 20 gauge.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DiY - Car Project Breakout_Box_With_Connector_Plu - EletriciansForums.net
    Breakout_Box_With_Connector_Plug.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DiY - Car Project Backside_of_Breakout_Box - EletriciansForums.net
    Backside_of_Breakout_Box.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 9
The best solution would be solder and adhesive lined heatshrink sleeping for anything on a vehicle. Any reason you are wanting to avoid soldering?

The only sensible method would be to solder. I'm guessing you want to keep it as compact as possible. I would probably cut the PCB around the connector and peel the tracks back to the pads, so that the outgoing wires are soldered to the back of the pins but the pins are still supported by the board. Once all wires are terminated and tested I would de-flux the solder joints and encapsulate the back of it in flexible (removable) potting compound inside a small plastic box with the connector projecting from the potting compound. That would support the cables to improve vibration resistance and protect against moisture.

An alternative to soldering to the back of the connector itself would be to remove the 0.1" pin headers, cut the board just outside their solder pads and install the new wires through the vacated holes. A method that avoids soldering is to obtain the matching cable-mounted connector housings and crimp contacts to fit on the pin headers (they look similar to Molex KK series) but these connectors might not be as highly rated as the ECU connector, aren't environmentally protected, and won't accept anything like #14 wire.

Potting compound is a good idea. Don't spill it on anything though, it's a right git to clean off!

Reply to DiY - Car Project in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock