Discuss DIY - help with a double light switch. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We’ve just had plastering done in our living room. We told the plasterer we’d be replacing the light switch, so he removed it and now we just have wires.

There are two twin and earth cables (brown, blue and earth).

One cable is live, feeding the main light, the second is a piggy back circuit for a wall light.

The picture below is the back of the light switch…I just need to know what goes where.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

TL;DR
Tell me how to wire my light switch?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 7
Of course…thank you!

That is not good! It needs sorting before you worry about changing light switches. The outer grey sheath of the cable should be brought in through a proper knockout with a rubber grommet.

It also looks the the back box is not earthed, although I think i can see the copper earth wire behind the back box.

Who fitted this box?

That is not good! It needs sorting before you worry about changing light switches. The outer grey sheath of the cable should be brought in through a proper knockout with a rubber grommet.

It also looks the the back box is not earthed, although I think i can see the copper earth wire behind the back box.

Who fitted this box?
The back box isn’t fitted, I’ve just pushed it back into place to show the wires.

The grommets are present for the knockouts.

Both cables are earthed to the rear of the back box.

It will be fitted correctly, I just need to know what goes where!

The back box isn’t fitted, I’ve just pushed it back into place to show the wires.

The grommets are present for the knockouts.

Both cables are earthed to the rear of the back box.

It will be fitted correctly, I just need to know what goes where!

How are the cables earthed at the rear of the box? Make sure power to that circuit is kept switched off until this is sorted.

I would recommend an electrician sorts this for you. Nothing wrong with knowing your limits. Safety must come first.

How are the cables earthed at the rear of the box? Make sure power to that circuit is kept switched off until this is sorted.

I would recommend an electrician sorts this for you. Nothing wrong with knowing your limits. Safety must come first.
There is an earth point at the rear of the box. Both earths are securely screwed in there.

The power is all off at present. Various jobs on the go.

Safety isn’t a problem, I’m just looking forward a wiring diagram for the new switch.

There is an earth point at the rear of the box. Both earths are securely screwed in there.

The power is all off at present. Various jobs on the go.

Safety isn’t a problem, I’m just looking forward a wiring diagram for the new switch.

If you are earthing at the back of the box, how do you intend to get the cable sheathing through the knockouts?

If you are earthing at the back of the box, how do you intend to get the cable sheathing through the knockouts?
If you look at the bottom left corner of the back box, you’ll see the screw holding the earth point on the rear of the box.

Whoever fitted the switch clearly wanted the earth point on the rear. I will switch it to the front.

Cables will be earthed, sheaths will be correctly routed through the grommeted knockouts.

A few things here…

Picture of the box shows wires coming through the fixing holes, not the cable entry holes.

There’s only brown and blue cables…. We can’t tell what is permanent live, switched lives, if the blues are neutrals or not…. Can only be determined by testing

Earth wires…. Mentioned earlier..but the switch plate needs earthed as well as the box

You let a plasterer work on electrics.

Reply to DIY - help with a double light switch. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net