Discuss DIY job in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi all, just after some advice, i went to a house last week to install downlights in the bathroom. went to disconnect circuit and found it to be a 17th edition board, all very well but noticed a hand drawn wiring diagram in the bottom of the cupboard. removed the front cover of the board and found it to looking like someone had done it in the dark. found bare cpc's, exposed copper everywhere i looked. there was no stickers/ testing dtes etc anywhere on or near the unit, even ther mcbs were unlabelled. Main earth appeared to be undersized. everything tested fine, but found all accessories to have exposed cpc's and sticking out of terminals. anyway long story short can i note all this under the comments box on the test form? obviouosly in a pir this would be coded. can i recommend a pir on the test form? no way was this done by a half decent DIY'er let alone an electrician.

thanks guys!

Make sure whatever circuits you touch are as they should be and as you say, everything else just note.

I'd use the adiabatic equation just to verify the main earth is ok, then if it is its 1 less thing to worry about.

As well as noting all this on the cert, i'd also mention it to the customer to plant the seed in their head that ideally it needs sorting out.

thats great thanks. i have a feeling the owner was the guy who did it, his tool box was near by, cheap and cheerful set of bits and bobs and odds and ends of cables.

dotn know where i got it from but for some reason in my mind i was thinking it wasnt allowed to write on the test recomend a pir,

Nothing wrong with writting in the comments of the installation box something along the lines of:

Bear conductors used throughout, undersized main earth and bonding, poor workmanship, I recommend an complete PIR. Then atleast your covered if somthing happens, as youve highlighted some of the main issues, and informed your client, then its up to him to act to correct things.

Gazzamikes, if this chap has changed his own c/u and feels that he needs to get an electrician in for some down lights I'd be very careful of this job. Is he trying to get you to cert his work in a round about way?

Stress to him that your cert only covers the work you have done and you are no way responsible for any other previous work carried out before you (except main earth, bonding etc). See his reaction and make a judgment callbut please take before and after photos plus write down your findings on the cert/report and cover your back mate.

Perhaps he didn't have any earth sleeving, and thought you would have to sleeve all the bare conductors for him?

Years ago I was called out to a large extension we'd completed about 12 months previously, lighting cb tripping. On arrival I noticed extra lights not originally installed. The customer denied any knowledge and demannded that I correct the problem. OK. Eventually found a 20 amp jb with all the conductors completely stripped andshoved tightly in the box, one mass of copper. After shaming the client into admission, I told him that at least he could have sleeved the cpc's. He paid, pronto.

Might be like my house: loads of short lenghts of cable and crap wirh joint boxes........ (before i rewired it of course) so be careful mate as there might be all kinds of s**t here.......

GENERAL STATE OF INSTALLATION :- Installation is in general bad condition due to alterations and DIY over the years In my opinion the installation would benefit from a full PIR and remedials to bring within satisfactory condition as this certificate is limited to only the work carried out on Bathroom lighting circuit

this in nthe comments box may help

And report him to the council.

When you've finished, and been paid, write a letter to LABC, detailing your observations and concerns. Don't assume that it wasn't notified, just say that you don't believe that it complies with P1.

cc the householder.

99.9999% likely that LABC will do nothing, but it might worry the householder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to DIY job in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net