Discuss DIY lighting in garage in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Are you competent enough to do this?Does your insurance cover you to do this work? Have you got the correct test equipment and are you going to issue a certificate? If yes then yes by all means do it if no then I wouldn't go near it

Presumably this friend of yours has asked you to install the downlighters to save a few quid?

As others have said it isn't a question of getting the green light from someone on the internet to crack on, the problems come about if you get something wrong and your friend (or at worst the CPS) comes after you - since you know you're not qualified would you feel confident standing up in court and touting your idea of "DIY in someone else's house" being so different to working in their house for free, to working in their house for payment in kind, to working in their house for payment?

Do you think a court might consider that since you had done work for someone you are not related to, whether paid or otherwise, that you should be qualified to carry out that work and also to be accountable for it?

By the sound of it you should be consulting a solicitor to assess your liability rather than getting legal advice from an electrician on the internet; either that or save a few quid on solicitors' fees by getting an electrician to do the electrical work.

a lot of negatives from respected members. the OP wants to know whether or not he can do it. the answer is yes, he can. caveat being that even if he is competent to carry out the work,does he realise that without test equipment, he can't be sure it's safe, and without PL insurance, can he pay for any damage caused if he gets it wrong. of course he can do it (legally) but at his own risk.

Thankyou telectrix.
I have never posted on a forum before as I have noticed there are many people who just spout off and don’t answer the question.
I have read all the regulations and it is very unclear as to what you can actually do in your own home. I am not an idiot and do various work anyway. I am just very interested into how people read into the regulations and what they mean.
Personally I feel that if I was doing this in my own home, regulations say that I can. I am just interested if this work was done in someone else’s house and who I should get to check it, if required.
Thanks

Thankyou telectrix.
I have never posted on a forum before as I have noticed there are many people who just spout off and don’t answer the question.
I have read all the regulations and it is very unclear as to what you can actually do in your own home. I am not an idiot and do various work anyway. I am just very interested into how people read into the regulations and what they mean.
Personally I feel that if I was doing this in my own home, regulations say that I can. I am just interested if this work was done in someone else’s house and who I should get to check it, if required.
Thanks

Like YOU.

Thankyou telectrix.
Thanks
Is there a room above the garage.

From April 2013 electrical work in a dwelling, or associated with its surroundings, is notifiable to a local building control body where the work includes:

• the installation of a new circuit, whether at low voltage (typically 230 V) or extra-low voltage); or
• the replacement of a consumer unit (fusebox); or
• any alteration or addition to an existing circuit in a special location*, whether at low voltage (typically 230 V) or extra-low voltage

*A special location is a room containing a bath or shower, swimming pool or a sauna heater.

Just because it isn't notifiable to building control, doesn't mean it doesn't require testing. ALL work however small requires testing.

What test equipment do you have?

From April 2013 electrical work in a dwelling, or associated with its surroundings, is notifiable to a local building control body where the work includes:

• the installation of a new circuit, whether at low voltage (typically 230 V) or extra-low voltage); or
• the replacement of a consumer unit (fusebox); or
• any alteration or addition to an existing circuit in a special location*, whether at low voltage (typically 230 V) or extra-low voltage

*A special location is a room containing a bath or shower, swimming pool or a sauna heater.

Part P building regs, also state that electrical installations should be designed & installed in accordance with BS7671 (current addition being the 18th).

OP if you were working in your own house, I suspect your own house insurance would cover you? It may even cover you, for causing damage in someone else's house; you would need to enquire about the liability aspect, mind.

Course, as already said, don't tell anyone and just crack on (I take no liability for that statement :) ).

My new neighbour has asked me to do some work in his house. As I've quite the game (no longer have liability insurance, not in a scheme), I politely declined.

I do get the feeling, you won't be reading this post.

I'm looking to quit this game in 5 years if all goes to plan.
After that time I will not be registered, insured and over time not trained to current regulations and my test equipment will have run out of its calibration time scale.
At that point I will not do any electrical work for anyone else.
If I need any work done in my own home I know a few sparks I would do the job under there guidance at beginning, during and finally they would test and inspect at the end.

I know what I know now. But I don't know what I won't know then.

Thanks for all your replies, even the sarcastic ones, I actually do appreciate it.
I have determined that the work would need to be tested and a certificate given, which can now be done by a third person, obviously at a cost which my friend could get sorted.

Ps I think murdoch needs to get off his high horse and take some chill pills and stop giving people grief who are asking a straight forward question. Quite clearly we are not all geniuses like you

Not sure what questions I have not answered, apart from I am not charging anything. I am literally helping out a friend.
I have limited testing equipment, but if this was carried out my a third party after installation, then I presume it is all good?
Thanks again

Ps I think murdoch needs to get off his high horse and take some chill pills and stop giving people grief who are asking a straight forward question. Quite clearly we are not all geniuses like you

There you go mate. Post #39 and you have answered one of the questions..
I have limited testing equipment

It helps us if you answer the questions as they are relevant to you.

Reply to DIY lighting in garage in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock