Discuss DIY Primer Help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

khapa719

DIY
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

DIY-er here. Im generally pretty handy and can do most things in a home. The exception is when it comes to electrical. The extent of my skill is switching like component for like component. I would like to improve my skills to the point where I could run power to a new spotlight where there wasn't a previous fixture or perhaps change how a light switch affects the power in a room. Do anyone have recommendations on a good place to start?

Thanks,

-Kila

You could go on a electric course and learn the basics in which could take years or do the simple stuff like changes to a plug or socket or other leave it to expert
Who has had year experience on doing the electrical work day in and day out.
has they say knolage is dangerous.

I personally believe that DIY electrics should be limited to exactly that - changing like for like.
Partly because of some of the dangerous bodges I have personally come across, and of which there are thousands of examples published on electrical forums like this one.

And partly because any alteration or addition to any circuit requires an understanding of the electrical system being worked on, a knowledge of the tests required to be made both before and after such alterations have been made, and access to suitable equipment to do these tests, in order to ensure such alterations have been safely done.

Having said all that, my opinion is just that, an opinion, and has no chance of being put into practice, so, pragmatism takes over.
Unskilled (electrically speaking) homeowners and tenants will always want to have a go at DIY electrics, so perhaps I might suggest having a look at some of the respected YouTube channels, like John Ward, and Efixx. There are some good explanations of basic circuit wiring, safe isolation procedures, and so on. There are also some good books available.

The main advice above all else is make sure you know how to work safely, as electricity is a very dangerous thing.

In terms of learning something for free than I agree with @loz2754 that the videos from John Ward, and Efixx are good and dependable sources. A lot of YouTube stuff is not safe or correct, so try and keep to the better ones.

If you have plans to do a lot of stuff in the future, or are thinking of taking it up as a possible profession, then there are various courses that you could do but they represent a fair investment of your time and money.

Whatever you plan on doing, do it safely:
  • Know the limits of your knowledge & experience
  • Get professional help if in any doubt
  • Get a proper voltage tester (e.g. Socket & See VIP150 or similar) and learn the safe isolation procedure
  • Even if just changing a socket, or checking any suspect ones, look at having a decent socket tester
  • Get a set of insulated tools, even the cheap "VDE" screwdrivers from Lidl are a good start. While you should never be working live, and should have checked for that as "safe isolation", insulated tools are your final safety measure.
Many of the cheap socket testers will pass wet string for an earth wire, but some do give some indication of the earth fault impedance and if it looks dodgy or not, for example:

I'd agree with @loz2754 that a basic understanding of electricity and wiring would be useful, but safe isolation (and testing for it) is the first and most important step.

Add on to that a basic 2 pole tester and learn to use it to confirm that you are safely isolated and with some understanding it will also help you to diagnose problems/switch wiring etc.

The trick is not making a new circuit "work" - that's generally pretty easy, but ensuring that it is safe in the event of a fault.

John Ward has some very good (if dry) content on wiring and circuits

GSH Electrical is designed for trainees, but some of their content is very good in giving a thorough understanding in how things should be done... This is a good video to start on understanding your existing consumer unit.

Big Clive has some interesting stuff on UK electrical bits too - as well as some dissecting of faulty ones

This video gives quite a good basic description of how things work in a majority of single phase installations from source to end user.

Much else beyond that and you are likely to run into regulations that affect how things can be done, who can do them, etc, which take a lot of reading or experience.

I would still recommend having an electrician check anything significant you do if there is any doubt whatsoever. If you can find a local one man guy he might even be prepared to explain why some things have to be done a certain way etc..

Always feel free to ask questions on here, though depending on the situation people may rightly tell you that it's a job for an expert, purely because of the multiple factors that are involved in doing even a theoretically simple job.

By the way, the OP appears to not be UK based, looks like they are somewhere with considerably better weather!

In terms of learning something for free than I agree with @loz2754 that the videos from John Ward, and Efixx are good and dependable sources. A lot of YouTube stuff is not safe or correct, so try and keep to the better ones.

If you have plans to do a lot of stuff in the future, or are thinking of taking it up as a possible profession, then there are various courses that you could do but they represent a fair investment of your time and money.

Whatever you plan on doing, do it safely:
  • Know the limits of your knowledge & experience
  • Get professional help if in any doubt
  • Get a proper voltage tester (e.g. Socket & See VIP150 or similar) and learn the safe isolation procedure
  • Even if just changing a socket, or checking any suspect ones, look at having a decent socket tester
  • Get a set of insulated tools, even the cheap "VDE" screwdrivers from Lidl are a good start. While you should never be working live, and should have checked for that as "safe isolation", insulated tools are your final safety measure.
Many of the cheap socket testers will pass wet string for an earth wire, but some do give some indication of the earth fault impedance and if it looks dodgy or not, for example:
TIS also do a fairly good voltage tester that's basic but fairly well made.

Knowing how to use one is just as important, but basically...

1. Test against a known working source (to ensure the tester is working)
  2. Isolate
  3. Test the isolated circuit (Live to Neutral, Live to Earth, Neutral to Earth to ensure no voltage present
  4. Test against a known working source again - to be sure that the tester is still working...
Seems tedious, but saves you from what could be a fatal mistake.

By the way, the OP appears to not be UK based, looks like they are somewhere with considerably better weather!
Then the regulations may vary wildly, and are in some places I believe even more onerous than ours in the UK...

Most of the basic advice above still stands though I think. No idea which US youtubers are sensible - Electroboom is a good watch, but not necessarily to learn the best way to approach DIY!

Mike Holt seems to go into the NEC stuff very thoroughly, but probably beyond DIY scope...

You could go on a electric course and learn the basics in which could take years or do the simple stuff like changes to a plug or socket or other leave it to expert
Who has had year experience on doing the electrical work day in and day out.
has they say knolage is dangerous.
Buzzish at it's best! ?

Thank you everyone for the responses. You're answers confirmed my doubts, I think I will just have to hire an electrician.

Thanks again.

-Kila

Reply to DIY Primer Help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock