Discuss DIY question about portable generators. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

alreagle

DIY
Reaction score
I have a Duromax XP1500EH portable generator which has a 240V 50A outlet and a 240V 30A outlet. I have a 200A transfer switch on my main service panel with a 240V 50A wire connector for attaching my generator. I used this connection during IDA last week and it worked great. My question is can a 50A wire and 30A wire be connected to the transfer switch at the same time from the Duromax generator simultaneously resulting in a net 80A feed?

Thank you, I guess I need to go back to school for a math refresher! A little embarrassed I didn't figure that out myself. Think I'll blame it on my calculator! Thought I came up with a great idea. Oh well, next time.

I've been curious about that Duromax XP1500EH myself but if you look at the specs on it.........

........the actual running amps on it is 52.00 Amps on gasoline and 47.5 Amps on propane, what I'd be curious about though is what size is the main breaker on that thing as it doesn't specify it on the schematics, best thing you could do is call the manufacturer and ask............

Attachments

• Duromax1500 Schematics.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 6
I have a Duromax XP1500EH portable generator which has a 240V 50A outlet and a 240V 30A outlet. I have a 200A transfer switch on my main service panel with a 240V 50A wire connector for attaching my generator. I used this connection during IDA last week and it worked great. My question is can a 50A wire and 30A wire be connected to the transfer switch at the same time from the Duromax generator simultaneously resulting in a net 80A feed?
There’s no way you will get 80 amps out of your generator. I wouldn’t advise you to use both plugs. It’s possible that you could cross the phases

Don't think your 80A plan will work bc the generator max at 50A. So if the draw on generator is maxed out a generator's 30A and 50A sockets, it would tripped generator breaker already. You can maxed out gen 50A or gen 30A, but not simultaneously

Reply to DIY question about portable generators. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net