Discuss DIY Question - Splitting off bathroom lights mains in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashielli

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all!

First up - I'm not an electrician, this is purely DIY. I have a little bit of electrical knowledge (degree in computer networking) but I'm not a qualified electrican or even one in training - please be aware of that when replying :).

So the situation is - My bathroom has a light, an extractor (which comes on / goes off immediately when the ceiling pull-switch is pulled; it's not on a timer), and the extractor also has an isolator switch.

My bathroom was not wired with power/shaver points and I'd like to add power to the bathroom, as safely as possible obviously.
My first thought was to simply run some 3-core mains from before the light switch (pull switch) and put that into a waterproof box.
The issue is that I cannot figure out how the wiring here actually works in terms of what lead goes to where.

I've looked inside the pull-switch rose and while earth terminates inside the switch box, live and neutral go through a simple switch to break the circuit. I'm concerned that my original plan will just leave mains on to the light/extractor all of the time and I'm trying to figure out which cables actually go where so that I can figure out the best place to run a mains lead from.

Ideally I want the mains power that I'm running to be "always on", not affected by the switch or isolator, whilst letting the light/extractor fan still function as intended.

I've attached a diagram of what I can currently see (solid lines) and some guesses at what is going on "behind the scenes" (dotted lines) as well as before/after diagrams.
I've also attached a photo of the inside of the light switch - the only "exposed" part of the mains here that I can easily get to

Essentially what I had is three places that I could potentially take power from - The switch, the light or the extractor. I figured the switch is the only place where there should currently "always" be live mains. My plan was to replace the current pull switch with a junction box that would go back into the pull switch (which would be moved to next to the junction box), but also split the power here into a second mains lead and put that into the back of a waterproof box, to hold the plug etc. See diagram

My questions are - would this work? How is the mains likely wired through my switch/light/extractor? And what would be the best way to achieve what I'm trying to do.

Thanks!

EDIT: Quick edit to note that I'm in the UK so obvs that may affect advice and the way that the circuits are done etc. Also yes I'm aware that the wiring in the rose is the "old standard" - it's an old house!

TL;DR
Want to add mains power to bathroom from Lightswitch. How to do?

Attachments

• 20210403_180211.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210403_183632.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
The light switch is not live and neutral it is live and switch live return hence the red sleeve on the black conductor, the permanent live is likely to be at the light fitting. I would strongly recommend you seek the services of an electrician to ensure these works are carried out in a safe manner and it would also be notifiable works under Part P of the Building Regulations.

The light switch is not live and neutral it is live and switch live return hence the red sleeve on the black conductor, the permanent live is likely to be at the light fitting. I would strongly recommend you seek the services of an electrician to ensure these works are carried out in a safe manner and it would also be notifiable works under Part P of the Building Regulations.
Thank you for the advice, just checking that I have this right - attaching a new diagram of how my understanding of the wiring situation is? If so, I assume the best place to potentially come out with another cable would be inside the light fitting, before entering the bulb?

Attachments

• 20210403_194720.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 14
I'm not in a place to be able to afford to get in an electrician right now, I'm looking for advice in how my home is wired, then what I do with that knowledge is surely my choice :).
Of course it is your choice but the forum although it is open to give advice to DIYers has to draw the line where we feel advice is inappropriate. Giving advice to you in these circumstances is inappropriate.

I'm not in a place to be able to afford to get in an electrician right now, I'm looking for advice in how my home is wired, then what I do with that knowledge is surely my choice :).
You have posted your question on here and at least one other forum and you have been given the same advice there as you have here you may be better heeding it.

While you may be quite happy to accept the consequences of poor and non compliant electrical work carried out by yourself others entering your property may not be so accepting if they end up severely injured or dead

Please accept that you are out of your depth

You have posted your question on here and at least one other forum and you have been given the same advice there as you have here you may be better heeding it.

While you may be quite happy to accept the consequences of poor and non compliant electrical work carried out by yourself others entering your property may not be so accepting if they end up severely injured or dead

Please accept that you are out of your depth
Funny that you mention how "I've been given the same advice there", since the only reply on there also happened to be from a user UNG! Amazing coincidence.

I understand that you've all got to cover your asses and not give out professional advice and risk liability and such. I was simply asking if people could confirm that my suspicions are correct re: the wiring etc. Thankfully the advice that I did get in that regard helped me twig what I'm hoping is the answer I was looking for. Again I know that you need to cover yourselves legally etc but obviously what I choose to do with the information is mine to make as an informed consumer.

Anyway, thanks for all your advice, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to DIY Question - Splitting off bathroom lights mains in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net