Discuss DIY socket ring - is this allowed? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

RGsan1988

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all
I’m new here and need some advice :)
We’ve got an old Victorian house with a suspended ground floor. We’ve had a rat problem (Sorted now!) and they’ve chewed through part of the ring main downstairs.
I was thinking of replacing the line of cable they’ve chewed through myself (It’s red and black)
My questions are;
Can I just replace the cable with brown/blue without notification?
Going a little further - could I not just replace the whole ring like-for-like whilst I’m already going down there? I’d simply be using the same layout and sockets, just literally changing the cable (Of course to brown/blue) I’d have an electrician terminate for me at the CU.
Any advice, greatly appreciated :)
It might be useful to note that I have my level 2 installation certificate from college (Before a change of career choice haha) - I consider myself competent but not an expert of course!

You'll be aware (I hope) for the need to have the installation tested before the "new" ring is put into service. If you're just running cable and the electrician is happy with that and terminating the cables (or happy to allow you to terminate) and finally testing and signing off the install (Minor Works I imagine) then I wouldn't see a problem but they is between you and the spark that will be signing it off

If you’re replacing every metre of cable on the ring, wouldn’t it be defined as a new circuit rather than a minor works?

devils advocate. I’m not trying to stir the proverbial.?

The alterations need to be installed and tested in accordance with the wiring regulations to ensure safety.
If your plan is to engage an electrician to check things over for you do it before starting the work. Any decent electrician willing to do this will want to assist with pre-work testing and checks, design of the work, inspection of installation, and testing.
Any electrician willing to pop and give you a cert after the fact probably isn't worth using.

Thanks for answering chaps ?
I think you’ve taken my plan a little too far in your thinking l - I wanted to know if I could do the whole of the work myself without requiring certification/notification as I’m literally mirroring what has been in the house about 16 years - basically if this particular job is notifiable as it would be like-for-. I’d only get somebody to terminate at the CU as a matter of piece of mind.
I don’t know an electrician to certify as I was hoping the answer would be “Yes, straight forward no certificate required” ?
Of course I’d have had post installation testing done.
Cheers :)

Thanks for answering chaps ?
I think you’ve taken my plan a little too far in your thinking l - I wanted to know if I could do the whole of the work myself without requiring certification/notification as I’m literally mirroring what has been in the house about 16 years - basically if this particular job is notifiable as it would be like-for-. I’d only get somebody to terminate at the CU as a matter of piece of mind.
I don’t know an electrician to certify as I was hoping the answer would be “Yes, straight forward no certificate required” ?
Of course I’d have had post installation testing done.
Cheers :)

The answer is that all electrical work should be tested to prove safety regardless of it requiring a certificate and/or notification.

I don't think anyone took your plan too far in their thinking. You did mention rewiring an entire circuit. This would be a new circuit and notifiable.

Reply to DIY socket ring - is this allowed? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net