Discuss DIYer query re whether a couple of kitchen/bathroom jobs are notifiable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lfo

Hi, I'm not an electrician but I have a (hopefully) quick query whether a couple of small kitchen/bathroom jobs are notifiable?

1) There's currently a built-in and wired-in fridge and freezer in the kitchen. If the wires for the built-in units are converted into normal plug sockets for new fridge and freezer, is that notifiable (not sure whether that constitutes an addition to a circuit, which in a kitchen I think would be notifiable, or a like-for-like job as it won't result in the creation of extra power points, which I think wouldn't be notifiable?)

2) replacing a ceiling pull switch in a bathroom (pretty sure this won't be notifiable but as it's a bathroom I wanted to check!)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/info you can give

Not taking the Michael, it was a genuine query, seeing as "installing an additional socket from an existing circuit" is notifiable, then not sure why my query met with such derision?

Never mind (sigh) I guess I know what standard of customer service to expect from electricians.......

The kitchen work will not be notifiable after the new financial year starts due to changes to part pee
Not taking the Michael, it was a genuine query, seeing as "installing an additional socket from an existing circuit" is notifiable, then not sure why my query met with such derision?

Never mind (sigh) I guess I know what standard of customer service to expect from electricians.......

Probably not, but you will still have to comply with the requirements of BS7671 . IE confirm disconnection times for the circuits and ensure the bathroom switch is outside, and/or complies with the zones in the bathroom.

Changing an SFCU for a socket is not considered "like for like", even though it does not entail alteration to the circuit wiring.
Are you a kitchen fitter or is it your own home, out of interest?

Probably not, but you will still have to comply with the requirements of BS7671 . IE confirm disconnection times for the circuits and ensure the bathroom switch is outside, and/or complies with the zones in the bathroom.

Where do the building regs say that?

You don't HAVE to comply with BS7671 at all it's not mandatory or even law it's only a recomendation.

Well they do actually if you have a read of them.

Part P of the building regs =

PartP.jpg

There is no reference to BS7671.

BS7671 only gets mentioned in the guidance docs as something that will normally be accepted as a way of demonstrating compliance with Part P.

Yes I know that, but it is an accepted standard to comply with the building regs and some statutory documents.

The 17th is Non Statutory

Quote IEE Wiring Regulations
The IEE Wiring regulations Current Edition (now issued as BS 7671:2008 :17th. Edition Wiring Regulations) are non statutory regulations. These regulations require tests and inspections of new or altered installations and recommend periodic inspection and testing.

The 17th is Non Statutory

Quote IEE Wiring Regulations
The IEE Wiring regulations Current Edition (now issued as BS 7671:2008 :17th. Edition Wiring Regulations) are non statutory regulations. These regulations require tests and inspections of new or altered installations and recommend periodic inspection and testing.

I also know that , I was referring to statutory documents that refer to BS7671 for compliance to standards they set.

As i understand it (and i am sure i will be corrected) 17th is non statutory, but is widely accepted as (the must follow regulations) for wiring, although not a legel document can be sited in a court of law , if they think you ignored them completely. i.e. the regs are the regs follow closely despite them being difficult to interpret. thank you amberleaf for excellent ways of finding out what you need to know for given situation.

I also know that , I was referring to statutory documents that refer to BS7671 for compliance to standards they set.

I don't believe that there are any statutory documents that refer to BS7671, only non mandatory guidance documents as far as I know.

I don't believe that there are any statutory documents that refer to BS7671, only non mandatory guidance documents as far as I know.

This is all that I can download from part P. General guidance. It is referred to in other parts too.

new part p.jpg

I hope it is clear ,I can not copy and paste for some reason .

Attachments

• new part p2.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Reply to DIYer query re whether a couple of kitchen/bathroom jobs are notifiable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net