Discuss DNO and Applicable Earthing System in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

AcombAndy

Hi All my first post :)
DNO and Applicable Earthing System Meter - EletriciansForums.net
So I am planing to rewire the house that this incomer is servicing. I want the DNO to come out and provide a descent earth and for them not to charge for it. You can all see there is plenty that requires improvement in the photo, but the DNO earth should be the starting point for safety and it looks poor to me (ie pos 10mm) . I figure as according to the Electricians Guide the Building Regs p12/13 The Electrical Safety Regs....2002, Regulation 28 requires the distributor to provide written statement of ....the type of earthing applicable to the installation... so far I've got this:DNO and Applicable Earthing System letter - EletriciansForums.net
I suspect they are fobbing me off, Call Centre were 'combative' to say the least and I got the letter through submitting a formal complaint. Also I suspect I will have to apply for the fuse to be uprated and have the form for that. That process was explained as; I apply to DNO for upgrade, if they say it's OK, the meter company changes the fuse (and presumably the meter as it's rated 40A).

So any thoughts on my attempt to force the DNO to inspect the supply and confirm it's configuration, and at the same time have to improve the earth under their 'duty of care'? And or would the Fuse uprating achieve the same thing?

Most of those bakalite cut outs are cracked and crumbling and are ver suseptable to damage with bits falling off them, if this one has any damage or the tags are broken off meaning there can be no seal fitted then the DNO will have to replace the cut out, the type of damage dictates as to wether there will be a charge. When they replace them they normally replace them with a henly type, normally 100A with a TNC-S arrangement, so inspect and look for damage!

Otherwise ELI test and if it comes out over 0.8 whine and hassle them until they change it or until you see flying pigs!

Thanks for that unfortunately it’s all in good condition. But the house is a 2 bed converted to 4, has been single occupancy for 30 years and still is but has an 8.5 Kw shower and with 5 people using the toys of modern life would soon be drawing a lot of current

no not really really, it's old and as I am planning a full rewire I want it all to be new and suitable for modern occupation. There is no rush so I thought there might be some mileage in hassling them under Regulation 28. Plus after dealing with the DNO on the phone i realised we we're not going to be friends ;)

ESCQR - rule number 1

The DNO do as they please.

Either poor readings for TNS 0.8+
or damaged basic insulation are the only 2 ways you will get that cut out upgraded for free!

Reply to DNO and Applicable Earthing System in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock