Discuss DNO demanding "Visual Inspection"? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

skiandy

Hi,

I've just had a call from a distraught landlord, he has a house where a keymeter was installed but the power has been off for a year because of an unpaid bill. The DNO is refusing to reset the meter until a "Visual Inspection" is carried out. Apparently they then mentioned "Dead tests". They wanted conformation in writing off an Professional Electrician too.

My understanding is a "Routine Check" should be carried out on each change of occupancy/1 year. So why the dead tests?

Andy

Hi,

I've just had a call from a distraught landlord, he has a house where a keymeter was installed but the power has been off for a year because of an unpaid bill. The DNO is refusing to reset the meter until a "Visual Inspection" is carried out. Apparently they then mentioned "Dead tests". They wanted conformation in writing off an Professional Electrician too.

My understanding is a "Routine Check" should be carried out on each change of occupancy/1 year. So why the dead tests?

Andy

andy. shouldnt a periodic inspection report be done on the change of occupancy for rented accomodation ? sounds like this is what they want. regards dave

Hi Dave, I agree but the power is off at the moment and the DNO will not turn it back on without a "visual inspection" as they call it.

Andy

Hi Dave, I agree but the power is off at the moment and the DNO will not turn it back on without a "visual inspection" as they call it.

Andy

They want you to do visual plus dead test's eg insulation and other test's because they want to make sure the installation is safe before re-connecting the supply.

It is just the same they would ask for if it was a new installation.

Thanks guys, it just seems a bit harsh for the landlord thats all. As if they hadn't put a keymeter in he wouldn't have this problem.

Still its a job :)

It may seem a bit harsh, but the DNO are going to cover their backs. :mad: Safety and all that.

Anything can happen in a year though, so a few dead teats are not going to hurt.

And as heathelec said a PIR should really be done.

Reply to DNO demanding "Visual Inspection"? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock