Discuss DNO Help in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SRE

We had decided that we were just going to install domestic pv systems but have been asked to price for 3 x 40kwp systems in the last 10 days. It seems rude to ignore these requests :D but I'm a bit worried about the whole DNO situation and associated costs.

At the minute I've got a farm and a small business within 500 yards of each other wanting 40kwp systems. Being naive I thought maybe they could share the upgrade cost fo the network if there is any - could it be that simple???? :confused:

DNOs are all bloody crooks! I don't expect to have to pay for the counter when I go into a shop and I don't see why the customer has to pay directly for the infrastructure to deliver their product. It isn't surprising that they charge the earth when they have a state granted monopoly and a license to charge whatever they feel the cost should be to whoever triggers work for them. The charges from our DNO are so high they really do take your breath away, it would seem less of a crime if they appeared to know what they're doing, it appears most of them can't even decide upon a policy for G83.

Rant over!

You're right, it would be rude!

First thing to do is to speak to the DNO. They should be able to give you an idea on outline costs and information on whether upgrading of the mains is needed. Be prepared to supply detailed drawings showing arrays, isolators, inverters and relays.

Costs associated with this will be the extra box with relay in it (about £1000), paying to have it tested with the DNO in attendance (about £1000) and whatever reinforcement works are needed.

Sharing the costs between the two sites is a good idea I reckon, and the DNO should be able to give you a heads up on this that you can take to both sites.

Tell me which DNO you are under and I should be able to give you contact details of the guy you need to speak to.

DNOs are all bloody crooks! I don't expect to have to pay for the counter when I go into a shop and I don't see why the customer has to pay directly for the infrastructure to deliver their product. It isn't surprising that they charge the earth when they have a state granted monopoly and a license to charge whatever they feel the cost should be to whoever triggers work for them. The charges from our DNO are so high they really do take your breath away, it would seem less of a crime if they appeared to know what they're doing, it appears most of them can't even decide upon a policy for G83.

Rant over!

Thanks Ramjam all noted I'm bracing myself to deal with our DNO - what sort of costs are we talking about?????

Thanks BiggsSolar that's really helpful. 2- 3k should be manageable. It's electricity NorthWest in our area, they've been pretty good about installing 3.9kwp and allowing us to provide the info at a later date so fingers crossed they might be helpful with this too. I work with some installers in the Midlands who seem to be having horrendous problems with their DNO's.

They're one of the only DNOs that I don't have specific contact information regarding G59. I do have a phone number but I'm not sure if it takes you to the department you need - can't hurt though. Try 01772 848344

Is it a long and painful process? I know they have to turn it around in 6 weeks, that's fine because we're booked up that far in advance anyway and it will still get installed before most of the sun this summer. I was thinking about charging £200 to do the legwork for the customer with the DNO and then reducing the installation cost by this much if they go ahead - at least it would cover my costs then. One more query I'm assuming that it's almost impossible to get the same markup for a larger project like this than for a domestic, but how much cheaper makes it attractive to the punter and still makes it worthwhile to us????

Why not price the job with the extra costs involved - apart from DNO charges. This way, you can win the job and then worry about dealing with the electricity board.

"One more query I'm assuming that it's almost impossible to get the same markup for a larger project like this than for a domestic, but how much cheaper makes it attractive to the punter and still makes it worthwhile to us????"

That's a difficult question and I wish I had the answer!

Reply to DNO Help in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net