Discuss DNO lack of action- is this common in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Are DNO's lax, is it hard to get them to fix problems?

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

baldelectrician

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I had a client who had a poor lateral supply and called out the DNO in 2009, SP Energy Networks attended and marked it as an urgent upgrade.

She then called me about more work in February this year and told SP EN had not fixed the problem so she called again, someone looked and said the job would be booked in

They had a poor VIR lateral supply and high Ze reading.

Are DNO's lazy in their efforts ?

Attachments

• SP lateral supply photo - Copy.jpeg
    372.1 KB · Views: 50
I think it varies quite a bit with area, but also they seem to be doing a lot more 'fire fighting' (not literally), but fixing the high priority stuff, and anything not mega urgent tends to get put off.

They came out to a customer of mine immediately (late night) a few months back where there was no power, but as soon as they established it wasn't them they moved on sharpish. And happened to mention that the fuse head was old and might be replaced, but there was a 3 year waiting list at the time....

Pre Covid, I had a few reasonable experiences with them, with 'only' a several week wait for them to attend and remove an old rewireable fuse head.

Every time I've spoken to 105, I have at least spoken to someone who seems to understand the issue, but there have been some horror stories on here too.

I am usually asked to email photos now - and presumably someone is triaging the most urgent jobs...

I think it varies quite a bit with area, but also they seem to be doing a lot more 'fire fighting' (not literally), but fixing the high priority stuff, and anything not mega urgent tends to get put off.

They came out to a customer of mine immediately (late night) a few months back where there was no power, but as soon as they established it wasn't them they moved on sharpish. And happened to mention that the fuse head was old and might be replaced, but there was a 3 year waiting list at the time....

Pre Covid, I had a few reasonable experiences with them, with 'only' a several week wait for them to attend and remove an old rewireable fuse head.

Every time I've spoken to 105, I have at least spoken to someone who seems to understand the issue, but there have been some horror stories on here too.

I am usually asked to email photos now - and presumably someone is triaging the most urgent jobs...
Have a thread on Twitter now, things happening

Never had any problems getting ENWL or SPEN (old MANWEB) to site to carry out work in fact on a couple of occassions I have tried to slow them down but they wouldn't have it

Never had any problems getting ENWL or SPEN (old MANWEB) to site to carry out work in fact on a couple of occassions I have tried to slow them down but they wouldn't have it
Sp Energy Networks are hard to get to complete the jobs

They will attend and will tell the client the works are in a calendar but it will not get done

Sp Energy Networks are hard to get to complete the jobs

They will attend and will tell the client the works are in a calendar but it will not get done
Most of the problems I have reported have been fixed on the day and the ones that haven't have been sorted within a few weeks, the only one that dragged on was a service head replacement on a looped supply that took about 9 months partly due to the neighbour being elderly and infirm and partly down SPEN insisting we arranged a date with the neighbour for the work to be carried out I pointed out that I didn't have access to their engineering diary which would make it rather difficult to arrange a mutually convienent date

They came out and looked last Wednesday to run the laterals to next door and decided it was awkward to do this, the subcontractor suggested it was better to run a new cable from the street

I was then called back and told client refused trunking and job was posponed to do a dig - and the dig was planned maintenance

I called back (on conference call with the client) and raised concerns.

Someone called me back on Thursday afternoon and let me know they now planned to do the dig on Friday morning

The job was done last Friday - after a lot of running around.

Client is releived and happy

Reply to DNO lack of action- is this common in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock