Discuss DNO maximum demand message. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Cadgey123

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just started doing my first block of flats as a Qualified supervisor.

I have 5 flats and a landlords supply to wire up.

Done my calculations a while back and told the DNO I would need require ADMD of 12.5 kva for each flat which I thought was reasonable, Considering I have 3 rings, 2 lighting , 1 UFH supply and a small oven circuit.

Just to check I phoned the NICEIC technical to reassure I done the right calcs in the Onsite guide table etc. They basically said you can make it up it's more or less common sense to the load you would achieve??

But my dilemma is the DNO wrote this back to me but I would have thought this was a rather small supply?

UK Power Networks would in general expect the (ADMD - after diversity
maximum demand) for a gas heated flat/house to be between 1.5kVA and
3.0kVA and an electric heated flat/house to be between 5kVA & 10kVA
unless abnormal high usage appliances are being installed.

Generally the DNO will want to supply as little as possible and for multiple properties (streets) they can apply massive diversity as people use things at different times and so it all evens out.
For your situation you have less flexibility but even so you can expect much lower than the design current. For your list you could assess the sockets as taking no more than 10A in general (assuming they are not running electric heaters) even though there are three rings (good division of circuits) and I do not know the size of the flats mostly there will only be kettles taking significant power and then only for a very short time.
lighting will take minimal current, especially as it should be energy efficient.
UFH unless huge will take maybe a couple of amps.
Oven (perhaps cooker?) circuit taking 15A for short periods.
So maybe a total of 30A (7kVA) at maximum use and this would be for short periods so say halving this to balance across for five flats over time in general on average is close to their 3kVA.

This is just an off the cuff example of how you might want to assess actual loading, obviously you know a lot more about the flats size and expected use which may make significant changes to the demand.

Can I ask please - what fuse size is planned for each installation?

Generally the DNO will want to supply as little as possible and for multiple properties (streets) they can apply massive diversity as people use things at different times and so it all evens out.
For your situation you have less flexibility but even so you can expect much lower than the design current. For your list you could assess the sockets as taking no more than 10A in general (assuming they are not running electric heaters) even though there are three rings (good division of circuits) and I do not know the size of the flats mostly there will only be kettles taking significant power and then only for a very short time.
lighting will take minimal current, especially as it should be energy efficient.
UFH unless huge will take maybe a couple of amps.
Oven (perhaps cooker?) circuit taking 15A for short periods.
So maybe a total of 30A (7kVA) at maximum use and this would be for short periods so say halving this to balance across for five flats over time in general on average is close to their 3kVA.

This is just an off the cuff example of how you might want to assess actual loading, obviously you know a lot more about the flats size and expected use which may make significant changes to the demand.

Cheers Richard, that makes a lot of sense.
Thanks for taking the time to explain it for another angle.

Reply to DNO maximum demand message. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock