Discuss DNO meter cupboard - asbestos cement board base? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SW1970

Have a look at this folks...

photo.JPG

Does the grey base of this 1975 meter cupboard look like asbestos board to you? If it is, and new works are planned that would involve cutting into it, is the DNO obliged to replace the cupboard with something more modern? Thanks!

Certainly looks like it, the course tells you if your unsure to treat it as if it is asbestos.

Call the DNO and report it, they might backheel it and tell you to get a third party contractor in to specially remove it

Horrible stuff

Looks like it, not really possible to tell from a piccy. There is something around called asbestolux that looks very similar (but isn't asbestos).

As vernam616 says report it and see what they say.

There was school of thought that "Asbestolux " was "SAFE" asbestos but it should now be treated the same

unfortunatly the only way to identify asbestos is to get a liscenced contractor or analist to check and get conformation one way or the other
DONT just take "the builders " word for it get it checked dont do work involving disturbing it till conformation is received

Without doubt you cannot tell if a suspect item contains asbestos just by looking at it. If you are unsure then you must get it checked out with an approved tester to confirm or deny the presence of asbestos.

Do not start work (unless the asbestos is totally undisturbed, no leaning on it, blowing over it, shaking it, pulling cable through it) until confirmed it is safe.
The affects of asbestos inhalation although they can be slow to take effect are a very nasty way to die, do not take the risk.

The removal of asbestos should only be done by licensed contractors and is done under very carefully controlled conditions. It is very likely the DNO will not entertain this and they would also need to employ licensed contractors which will cost a lot.

Hiya, didn't get a photo but the back is DNO wood and the interior sides and whole exterior are painted. Would you be able to tell by the shape etc? If so, I'll get a pic on next visit.

Hi, just found a pic I had taken of the left side of the cupboard, a bit more of the shape visible. Is this enough to go on?

IMG_0593.jpg

Cheers, SW

Attachments

• IMG_0593.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 36
Didnt realise it was the outdoor meter box, im pretty sure these are all fibreglass, but if you are ever unsure get it checked properly, not the best idea just to post a picture up, its all well and good us telling you it isnt asbestos, but its your health at the end of the day which will suffer

Last edited by a moderator:
Fibreglass, the first picture you posted was confusing.

It’s horrible to cut. If you drill it, drill from the inside outward, you should avoid the razor like shards that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to DNO meter cupboard - asbestos cement board base? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net