Discuss DNO not interested. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mort2376

So found a mains cut out in a very bad way. Top of the fuse cover had snapped off and the fuse was not pushed in fully.

Rang the DNO as was changing the consumer unit and explained the situation that it was dangerous as the fuse was exposed and you could put your fingers directly on the live parts.

24 hours later they turn up and change the cut out. All well and good, but I thought that they would seal the cut out to prevent further tampering and maybe upgrade the 6mm providing the pme connection as well ? But no. Arrived 9:30am cut out changed by 10am sat in the vans ( 3 people 2 vans to change a cut out ! ) till 11:00am then left.

Thoughts anyone ????

Pics are below.
2016-11-22%2010.54.47.jpg

2016-11-22%2010.54.58.jpg

2016-11-23%2012.34.00.jpg

2016-11-23 12.34.00.jpg

2016-11-22 10.54.47.jpg

Where does that 6mm earth go? The DNO supply cables look a bit old. Perhaps you should of asked the guys doing the work, but I suspect their brief was to replace the head, and that's what they have done! Who is your DNO and what is their policy on removing main fuse?

The DNO has no legal requirement to provide an earth, when and where they do it is down to the customer to arrange (normally via a competent electrical contractor) to check, upgrade or connect any earthing, where this involves needing access to DNO equipment then this has to be done via discussions with the DNO to arrange a connection.

If you are ever in this situe' again just ask them politely to connect a 16mm you have ready and waiting, most will oblige although depends who you get on the day, some are sticklers to routine and will not do what they are not requested to by their depot.

No earth even on a pme system ????

The 6mm goes to an earth block. They were not the most friendly of people who turned up, kinda got grunted at when she showed them the job.

It's difficult to tell from the pictures, but the cables to and from the head seem a bit old and perhaps need replacing. One of them has the outer sheathing removed some 50mm before the head (DNO's), for example. Dependant on who's responsibility it is, DNO or Supplier, I would ask them to consider replacement.

If the DNO allows you to remove their main fuse, you can replace the 6mm earth. Who's 'she', the customer? Take you weren't there?

Ment to say "when they showed up" ( big fingers and small keyboards are not a good mix ! ) I was there but was not taken much notice off.

No earth even on a pme system ????

The 6mm goes to an earth block. They were not the most friendly of people who turned up, kinda got grunted at when she showed them the job.
As Darkwood said, the DNO are not obliged to provide an earth (TT supply for example), but usually do. In you case the earthing facility is provided by the PME supply. It's down to the property owner to connect to that earthing facility.

Three people, 1 x authorised person with 1 x trainee will require another qualified person to be on site (they don't work live on their own).
Maybe they weren't that chatty as none of them wanted to say 'have left it unsealed so you can upgrade the earthing conductor' as to say something like that would be very naughty.
Biased as I have a dno technician son

Reply to DNO not interested. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net