Discuss Dno supply running through house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ampo

-
Reaction score
Hi all, have been to a bungalow (well half bungalow half building site at the moment) and the main supply is in the middle of the basement. The dno supply is coming from above so is hidden in a wall and then I can see it going through the loft to outside. It's a good 8 meter run. Has anyone come across this before? In my experience they are normally on the outside walls or at least underground if in the centre of a house. It just dosen't sit right to me, is there a depth in the wall that's acceptable? Surely not as the cable is not protected or fused down. Is this at all my responsibility from a legal standpoint? Surely it's the dnos. I can only guess that years ago the cable came straight into the house and at some point the house has been extended and they have built around the cable where it would have been on an outside wall, incorporating it into the building fabric. I'm reluctant to get the dno around as itll delay her other works and they will probably move the supply to an outside wall, making her incur costs to get the wiring moved. I would have thought if the whole build was finished I'd have never noticed or payed much attention to it, but I have so thought I'd ask, anyone with any experience would be great to have opinions. Cheers

Last edited:
I've not come across a DNO supply buried in a wall before, running through lofts and voids is common with overhead supplies but always accessible. I would agree that buried in a wall where it may be subject to inadvertent disturbance or mechanical damage it represents a real danger. Only option is to discuss with the DNO.

I would speak to the DNO but they must be prepared for a charge to rectify because it is highly likely as you say been concealed by building works. If anyone were to pierce the cable through DIY works you may have a serious situation as circuit protection is unknown.

Not protected by anything, it goes down in between an internal wall in the cavity between two red brick walls (which makes me think it used to be an outside wall).

Reply to Dno supply running through house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net