Discuss Dno in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sedgy34

if you need an export meter, it all depends on your preference. You have to weigh up weather its of cost benefit for you to pay to have an export meter installed against the cost saving of your export tariff. Usually 30KW is when the customer would start to look at having an export meter installed.

if for example particular enquiry of 30 – 40 kw it really is upto your customer as to what he wants to do based on the above info.

Hope this helps

when you say 'looking at having a meter installed', that ought to read has to have an export meter installed under the FIT regulations, and is no longer eligible for deemed export payments without it.

Export meters incur both initial upfront charges and annual management costs from all the electricity companies I've dealt with on it, if anyone knows of any that don't levy these charges it'd be good to know who they are.

For customers with low on site energy usage this could potentially be beneficial, but for those who're going to be using significantly more than the 50% deemed levels, they'd usually be worse off going a little bit over the 30kW level, and there'll be a point probably somewhere between about 34-38kWp where it starts to make financial sense again vs the 30kW system size.

Obviously it's up to the customer, and some might want to go slightly above the 30kW bit and have an export meter fitted anyway, but IME its unlikely once the consequences of this are explained.

each install has a different scenario based on what will be used when generated this will have an effect on having an export or not.

each install has a different scenario based on what will be used when generated this will have an effect on having an export or not.
yes, but anything over 30kW has to have an export meter. There's no choice in the matter presuming that they want to receive the export payments.

Unless there are electricity companies out there not applying this rule, but if there were then there would be a chance that they'd realise the mistake at some point in the life of the FIT and demand the export payments were returned, and an export meter fitted.

Last edited:
Unless things have changed , it is as Gavin says and it is a legally requirement to do so , this was well and truly pointed out to me by a senior member of SSE connections team last year .
Maybe Ted will give us the definitive answer as to how it is currently viewed by the powers that be ?

I read somewhere that you can opt out of the export altogether, so no export meter, no deemed export, it is difficult for a supplier to get their head around this, but it is possible.
The fact is, below 30KWP, you can have deemed Export, or metered if you so chose, above 30KWP it is metered Export only, unless as above you opt out.

You just have to make lots of calculations as to which is the best for the customer, as every one is different.

I hope this helps

btw, if you really want to confuse a FIT supplier, try claiming the export tariff, but not the FIT because a system had been grant funded from government grants so was ineligible for FIT payments, but ought to still be eligible for export payments.

that's enough to turn an entire FIT application processing team to turn into complete gibbering wrecks as their computer keeps saying no. I think their last proposed solution was to just pay the feed in tariff as well or something, as it was for a charity and their computer systems just couldn't cope with it at all.

Sorry Gavin, it has been a long day, I read it some where a while ago, can not remember where though, We tend to read so many documents, pages and pages of the stuff, just trying to figure out what they all mean, Once you whittle it down to the bones though, it is not that complicated, they just make it seem that way, causing all this unnecessary confusion, the sad thing is, and I am sure you find this too, that whoever you speak to, OFGEM, DECC, DNO, FIT provider etc, none of them seem to know what is correct, and it is their guidance..

ah, but it's only guidance, and none of it should be taken as being any actual indication of what Ofgem might think tomorrow, or what the legislation actually says, but don't worry, they've got that bit covered in the small print at least.

This guidance is not intended to be a definitive technical or legal guide to the FIT scheme

well that's just what we all needed, a load of waffle that we have to stick to, but Ofgem can choose not to stick to if they've since changed their minds, or whoever wrote it happens to have moved to another department since writing it etc.

unlike the murphies, I am bitter.

Reply to Dno in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock